problem with new engine smoking

Tom Tom Turbo

Turbo Goes Woo Woo
I have just installed a new long block, and I'm having some problems with smoking out the exhaust. The fuel pressure was set at 43 PSI line off at idle when the car was taken apart, I swapped the regulator over to the new engine and didn't change anything. I purchased an extender chip burned for my 50# injectors. The car smokes blue-ish grey out the exhaust, but only after the car has warmed up for about 10-15 minutes. Normally I would think this is oil, but the smoke makes your eyes burn and it has a fuel smell to it. I thought it could be turbo related, so I pulled off the turbo and DP. There was no liquid oil residue in the turbo, however the inside of the exhaust housing and DP were coated with jet black soot. Could the car be running really rich and causing this problem? My scanmaster is being borrowed right now, so I don't really know where everything is set, other than TPS.

Sounds like you are definitley running rich. Causes- mass air flow, improperly calibrated chip, bad O2 sensor for starters. I assume TPS is adjusted correctly.
Tom Tom Turbo said:
I have just installed a new long block, and I'm having some problems with smoking out the exhaust. The fuel pressure was set at 43 PSI line off at idle when the car was taken apart, I swapped the regulator over to the new engine and didn't change anything. I purchased an extender chip burned for my 50# injectors. The car smokes blue-ish grey out the exhaust, but only after the car has warmed up for about 10-15 minutes. Normally I would think this is oil, but the smoke makes your eyes burn and it has a fuel smell to it. I thought it could be turbo related, so I pulled off the turbo and DP. There was no liquid oil residue in the turbo, however the inside of the exhaust housing and DP were coated with jet black soot. Could the car be running really rich and causing this problem? My scanmaster is being borrowed right now, so I don't really know where everything is set, other than TPS.

I hope its just out of tune.....brand new denso 02 sensor, new LS1 MAF, and TPS is .42-.44 @ idle and 4.41@WOT

could be some Translator settings need to be changed....

could it be a bad ECM?

Translator settings a definite possibility. ECM, I doubt it.
Tom Tom Turbo said:
I hope its just out of tune.....brand new denso 02 sensor, new LS1 MAF, and TPS is .42-.44 @ idle and 4.41@WOT

could be some Translator settings need to be changed....

could it be a bad ECM?