Problem with 1997 Bravada

84GNTTYPE

I friend from work has a 1997 Olds Bravada with All-Wheel Drive. Lately it seems that the transmission is acting up. Sometimes it won't shift out of first gear, other times it redlines before it shifts and other times everything works fine. After if acts up and she shuts off her car she is unable to turn her key back far enough to get it out, it just stops. Her check engine light also comes on.

She has had a mechanic and transmission people look at it and they are unable to to determine the problem. Just wondering if any of you out there had any ideas.

Thanks!!

Do most of the gauges stop working at the same time?

Any codes set in the pcm about the tranny? Most likley 1-2 shift solenoid, 3-4 shift solenoid and a tcc code set?

If so kinda sounds like an ignition switch problem. Fairly common on the s-series trucks of that year.

HTH

Tony

Would the ignition switch also cause shifting problems. She put a new battery in Sunday and it worked fine. Today when she got in it to come to work she couldn't get it to go forward very quickly or get the keys out. Almost seems like something may be draining her battery??? Any help is appreciated!!

If the ignition switch contact fails or has high resistance the circuts will not be powered properly.

It seems more often than not the contact and circuts related to the tranny seem to not power up. When this happens the tranny reverts to second gear as the only forward gear. That is why it feels so sluggish. Also when this happens it will set the codes I mentioned above.

I'm betting that the voltage light is the only indicator that lights when the condition is present.

The key will not come out because of the solenoid that controls the steering lock isn't powered as well.

Tell her that the nest time it happens beat on the steering column a bit or cycle the key a few times. If that cures it you need an ignition switch.

HTH

Tony

shifts

You hit a good point Tony. Another thing to find out if she has had any stereo work or problems lately or if she has an after market sound or alarm system . We found numerous things around these complaints. Most common was ignition feeds tapped for radio power sources and also found ground wires loose in the engine bay. This will cause similar problems. Mark :D

Hmmm, that jogged my brain a bit.

I've had a few instances where a remote starter was improperly installed. It wouldn't power up the tranny when you used it to start the car.

In that situation the codes would stay current even after the key was inserted and the switch was turned on.

Just another thing to think about.

Tony

Just wanted to say thanks for all of your help. It turns out that it was indeed the ignition switch as y'all suggested.

Thanks again!

good deal GN

Boy, and to think the techs always thought the service advisors were dumb. lol. It's good to know I learned more in the service drive than I ever did in the shop bays. Good to hear you guys found her problem. Great call Tony,,,,,,Mark :D