problem w/ stopping my turbo buick!!!

cecil bass

i have a 87 we4 turbo buick and theres somthing wrong with the braking!!! the brakes have been converted to vacuum, not sure when .... but i have to push into the pedal very hard, i mean very hard to get it to stop what can be the problem with this i really need some advice to get it fixed cause im scared to drive . the pads are all good and was correctly bled .... and the pedal is really hard to push in as well !!! so it seems like it has the right pressure but i just have to really put leg and foot in to stop .... and help would be wonderful
thanks all

Yeah...I'd check the vacuum as well....also check the check valve and you might even have a leak in the booster.

thanks , can you tell me the best way to check the vacuum and where is the check valve located at ......im new to working on these black rocket ships

the check valve is the fitting where the vacuum hose hooks to the booster. you should be able to hear air rushing into the booster if you pop that fitting out of the booster shortly after shutting the engine off.

i'd bet that you have a bad booster, but it's also possible that your engine doesn't make enough vacuum to operate it, too... they really like 15" of vacuum, but will operate so-so at 10".

walk us thru your setup- how big is the booster, and where is it getting vacuum from the engine? if you don't know, then post up a pic or 2.

That was my problem when I converted....not enough vacuum. I bought a booster for an '89 caprice with vacuum switch option and that gave me two ports. I used one normal with engine vacuum and the other with an electric vacuum pump to make up for any difference. Insane braking and power braking isn't a problem as I've heard some guys talk about.

ok ill post some pics when i get back to colorado. i just put the car on a carrier for transport ...... so check back in a few days thanks you guys !!!!

I was so disappointed with my brakes after converting that I was considering going back. Mine did not have a hard pedal just really poor braking. Power-braking was basically impossible. I switched to S-10 Blazer spindles and brakes, now make sure your seat belt is fastened or I might bounce you off the dash just to show off! I would recommend to anyone, easy to do, not too costly and awesome results.

I was so disappointed with my brakes after converting that I was considering going back. Mine did not have a hard pedal just really poor braking. Power-braking was basically impossible. I switched to S-10 Blazer spindles and brakes, now make sure your seat belt is fastened or I might bounce you off the dash just to show off! I would recommend to anyone, easy to do, not too costly and awesome results.
What year s-10, and what all parts did you use off the truck? Did everthing bolt right on or did you have to modify anything?
I might try that!!!

That was my problem when I converted....not enough vacuum. I bought a booster for an '89 caprice with vacuum switch option and that gave me two ports. I used one normal with engine vacuum and the other with an electric vacuum pump to make up for any difference. Insane braking and power braking isn't a problem as I've heard some guys talk about.

this is a great idea, can you post some pics of the setup , eg: pump type, location, etc... my vac brakes def not upto par

What year s-10, and what all parts did you use off the truck? Did everthing bolt right on or did you have to modify anything?
I might try that!!!
98-2002 S-10 Blazer 2WD. They seem to be pretty plentiful at the pull-a-part yards. They are easy to spot, just look for a later model 2WD Blazer, Envoy, Bravada or GMC Jimmy (not the newer Trailblazer body style) with duel piston calipers.
Remove the spindles by taking them off at the ball joints and tie rod ends, I used the two big hammer method instead of the ball joint fork so I didn't damage the ball joints or tie rod ends. The spindles are exactly like what is on the Regal now except the wheel bearings are in a sealed hub instead of in the rotor and the caliper brackets hold a huge duel piston caliper and pads. Use the spindle, hub assembly, caliper & bracket and pads. The brake hose from your car will screw right into the caliper. (you will have to turn it to a funky kind of angle, but it will work without danger of kinking). Bleed your brakes, have your alignment checked and your ready to go (or stop I should say!)

I got real lucky, found the Blazer at the local scrap yard that just crushes everything. I got both sides complete for $20 then bought 2 like-new rotors at the regular junk yard for $5 each. Typical prices I'm seeing at most yards is $25 to $40 per side for spindle w/ hub, $25 to $40 for calipers & bracket w/pads and about $5 each for rotors. So you can do the whole job for anywhere between $50 to $100 per side depending how thrifty you are.
Don't know why I didn't think to take pictures as I was doing the conversion but they look just like what you have now except you'll have larger vented rotors and dual piston calipers that are about twice the size of your current ones.
I promise you will be impressed!
Good luck, Hugh

the "plentiful in the junkyards" must be a regional thing- i can't remember the last time i saw a 2wd S series blazer of any year anywhere.

We have three self serve yards in the Memphis area, each had at least 4 or 5 2wd Blazer, Envoy, etc. I would be surprised to see that many 2wd up north. 4wd are much more likely up there.

here's a picture of the setup that I have..... can anyone tell me how I could check how much vacuum the booster is getting before I proceed with getting any new parts. thanks guys!!!

Attachments

• imagejpeg_2_13.jpg
    imagejpeg_2_13.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 134
  • imagejpeg_2_12.jpg
    imagejpeg_2_12.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 123
Take the hose off of the valve on the booster and put a vacuum gauge on it. Start the car and let it idle and that will let u know how much vacuum is there. Where does the hose go to on the other end?

tell you the truth I really don't know where that goes to...... I have to have my dad go take a look at it... cause I drive over the road. Is it supposed to go to a specific place on the engine? bare with me this is my first turbo regal!! thanks for all the info

tell you the truth I really don't know where that goes to...... I have to have my dad go take a look at it... cause I drive over the road. Is it supposed to go to a specific place on the engine? bare with me this is my first turbo regal!! thanks for all the info

do you guys think this problem can be caused if when the car was converted over ro vacuum brakes they didnt change the brake pedal??