Priming oil pump and engine?

Tim Cucci

I Just finished putting my engine together and still have it on the stand. I packed the new stock oil pump with vaseline during rebuild. I have hooked the cooler lines together and hooked up an oil pressure gauge. Turning the oil pump clockwise I get 59-60 psi oil pressure but I only see oil coming from three pushrods on passenger side. How long does it take to get oil up to all the rockers? I can take a ratchet and spin the oil pump by hand up to about30-35 psi. I don't understand not getting oil to all the rockers. Anybody got any answers? Oil pump has the yellow 60 psi spring in it and 10W40 Valvoline.
Thanks
Tim

Tim,

Even with an electric drill it will take quite a while for oil to make it up to the rocker arms. Keep in mind that you must get enough oil flowing to displace the air which is in the oil passages, push rods etc. Also it will take even longer to get oil to the drivers side of the engine based on the oiling system design.

Neal

you'll need to rotate the motor a lil at a time while your priming it if you want them all to oil.

or dip a lil oil on each rocker to lube where they pivot and be done with it at the point your at now the motor is lubed.

main thing you want is oil pressure soon as it fires over priming it wont help nothing