Priming motor with Vaseline question

deboeWE4

I'm using Vaseline and I packed it with the motor on the stand. When I mounted the tranny up I had to rotate the flywheel to get all the converter bolts in as usual. Did spinning the flywheel maybe a full revolution disrupt the Vaseline in the housing to the point I have to re-pack it? Every other time I've used it the motor was already bolted up so it wasn't an issue. Just curious...

It is not going no where it will be just like when you packed it just churned some . Turning by hand is to slow to do anything

One turn on the crank is only 1/2 turn at the pump. You should be fine.

That being said, it's no reason to skip the priming step before busting it off.

I'm not a fan of the vaseline either. I hate the thought of that stuff clogging up an oil filter during initial startup. But from what I've heard, if the pump isn't good and tight (giggiy) you have to use that goop to get the juices flowing.

(giggity)

I didn't need to pull the cam sensor out which is why I didn't prime it on the stand, maybe I'll do that next time. Thanks for all the input!

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I spin the pump with the filter off and let it spit the Vaseline wad out, then put the filter on and spin the pump until pressure builds.

Here is another way to prime the oil pump for oil pressure:
First and most important disconnect the orange wire behind the battery, and you must have an oil pressure gauge in order to make sure you do built up oil pressure before you reconnect the orange wire for start up.

I didn't pack the oil pump with Vaseline as most do
I first filled the oil filter as much as I can and then put 3 quarts oil in oil pan , then I remove the lower oil cooler from the radiator taped it against some pipe so the oil cooler is vertical position. Then place a small funnel inside the oil cooler hose, you will need a Chevy oil pump prime tool and place it inside the Cam Sensor hole; make sure the tool slot is fitted on the oil pump shaft. DO NOT start the engine, if your oil pressure gauge is electric then just turn the key to the "ON POSITION" , and have someone inside the car telling you that you have oil pressure. Attach the cordless drill machine to prime tool and run it at CCW position, at the same time fill the oil cooler hose with about 1-1/2-2 quarts of motor oil, or until you have oil pressure present. Once you have oil pressure, re-install the oil cooler hose back onto the radiator; set the cordless drill machine to CW until the other person inside the car tells you that you oil pressure on the gauge. Remove prime tool rotate crank shaft to new marking of 25* after TDC install the Cam Sensor as per Casper's Instruction.

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/cam_sensor.htm
http://www.casperselectronics.com/store2/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=653

Attachments

• Cam tool setting.pdf
    136.1 KB · Views: 85