Price for a 86-87 motor?

T-Type

TR Enthusiast
What can I expect to pay for a running, lower mile, good condition 86-87 turbo buick motor? What all is required to put it in a 84-85 car? Will the transmission bolt right up?

Thanks.

if its complete with harness ecm and trans upwards of 3500.00 all day long. with out trans you can usually deduct up to 500.00 as most won't worry about being stuck with the BRF trans as they sell like ice water in hell.:biggrin: good luck on your search as these motors are getting harder and harder to find complete ready to drop in and im sure soon enough like the cars themselves the prices will start rising as less cars are wrecked or parted out.

Nail Head hit the nail on the head... :D

Thats what you can expect to pay.. .I just bought a 87 GN motor about 3 weeks ago...

I have one in storage. 23K motor and tranny harness headers radiator even org. plugs. I was thinking $4000.00 .. Guess i'm too high!

I paid roughly $4,000.00 for everything I needed to convert my 84 to a complete 87 set up on a stock 50,000 mile engine. Then I bought way too many mods and had way too much stuff painted, but I figured I would do it right the first time around. :D

When I threw a rod in the stock block I replaced the engine with a rebuilt one from ATk Engines for $1,250 back in '97

I see they want $1,500 now so I can see where it's getting more and more expensive to get parts for these cars.

When I threw a rod in the stock block I replaced the engine with a rebuilt one from ATk Engines for $1,250 back in '97

I see they want $1,500 now so I can see where it's getting more and more expensive to get parts for these cars.

1500 for a turbo motor? how many miles have you gotten out of it?

yes ..everything for these cars are goin to go up with the supply and demand :eek: cars are goin up... new people get in and it just grows .. :p

So what all does it take to put an 86-87 motor in a 1984 Grand National? I am planning to do this swap, and I want to know EVERYTHING that I will need to do it. Will an 86-87 motor bolt up to a '84 transmission? Is the rear end the same?

Thanks.

FYI...just a short block from Brian @ Gbody parts is $1500.00.

Yep & like TNX his was $3500 for everything needed to do the conversion.
But at $3500 that gave him everything no missing bolts or anything.When you pop the hood it looks exactly like an 87 GN. 50K mile drive tranes are not exactly plentiful anymore.
Only bad thing about an ATK motor you never know what size crank or bore your getting. At least with a low mileage motor from us you know your getting std bore & std crank.

T-Type to answer your question the rear is the same & an 84 GN trans will bolt up. 86-7 Trans is the ideal situation though.

Yep & like TNX his was $3500 for everything needed to do the conversion.
But at $3500 that gave him everything no missing bolts or anything.When you pop the hood it looks exactly like an 87 GN. 50K mile drive tranes are not exactly plentiful anymore.
Only bad thing about an ATK motor you never know what size crank or bore your getting. At least with a low mileage motor from us you know your getting std bore & std crank.

T-Type to answer your question the rear is the same & an 84 GN trans will bolt up. 86-7 Trans is the ideal situation though.

So you guys have low-mile motors for sale? If so, do you ship them? If I buy one, it comes with everything I need (I mean everything)?

How much would one run me shipped without a transmission?

Thank you.

1500 for a turbo motor? how many miles have you gotten out of it?

It's a 3.8L N/A motor (Long Block) the mechanic charged me $500.00 back then to do the swap (they use your old accessories, manifolds and such). A turbo motor wasn't much more.

The engine has held up very well, it's the rest of the car that is falling apart around it :biggrin: :biggrin:.

My Regal was my daily driver till fall 2004 when I brought a new Audi A4 Ultrasport off the lot. Car ran from Rochester to NYC and from Rochester to Canada on demand and without fail.

I'll say one thing about these 3.8L engines, they hold up pretty well (with minimal maintenance) and are easy to work on.

If Brian has them and you get everything you need to make a swap or do the install I'd get one from him. You can rebuild it yourself if you want before putting it in.

So you guys have low-mile motors for sale? If so, do you ship them? If I buy one, it comes with everything I need (I mean everything)?

Thank you.

It depends where you are located. I know we have sold about 35 conversion kits. It comes with everything needed. From the radiator to the ECM. Relays & even the 86-7 heater box cover & heater core.

Thank you.
Any of the bolts that were removed were bagged and labeled, I had Bweavy install me a new cam and lifters as well. The only thing you will have an issue with is where do the studs go opposed to the bolts. So I called gbodyparts, they ran out and looked at an engine and told me where the studs were and where the bolts were, piece of cake. ;)