pretty happy track visit

tford

Registered Member
After last years alky & chip install, I was not happy with running a 13.6 @ 100 on my last visit. I didn't take my time raising boost/alky and just cranked it and ran. Well, since then I turned everything back a bit and ran last Friday at Cecil Co. dragway. Set at 20 psi, drove car 35 minutes there with little cool down time and put down 13.2 right off the bat. 2nd run with a 1.9 60 ft. ran 13.096 @ 104. Of course, it is still not where it should be, but at least I beat my fastest time. It was very consistent all night through 5 runs and it stayed together so I could drive home in one piece. I still have a long way to go with tuning, but now I have a good place to start. Only launched at 3 psi, so I know with a good launch, 12.90's are there. Once the wideband is installed, I'll start the tuning, but for a stock motor car on 20 psi, do you guys think I'm in the ball park? I finally left the track with a smile, so that felt good. Also sat & watched for a while with my 4yo daughter and realized (comparing to other cars) how fast I was really going. Thanks for reading even if it's not near as impressive and you 9/10 sec guys. Tim

Mods are in my combo, but I know how you feel. About a month ago was my 1st time at the track...in a LONG while and with the GN. Had a new chip and ran a 17.64 with a BEST of 15.94 for the day. I was too safe and the chip was for 23/25 psi...I was set at 17psi. Get to BG and throw in a old chip then run a high 13's off the trailer, 2 more passes get to mid 13's. Boost was up to 22 psi so I put in the "new" chip. 2 passes later I was at a 12.66 with (2) 12.7*'s pass after that. 1st thanks to the guys helping me tune!!! I know there is more in there but I plan on going SLOW....I am impressed how fast the times were coming with little changes.

I've read on here that with the TT alky chip, if you have the boost below the prescribed level written on the chip it can be overly rich and kill performance. My first trip to the track ever was this year and thats what happened to me. At 20psi with alky, car wouldnt get out of low 13s and had no power. At 22-23 psi and stock settings on chip, next visit ran 12.5-12.8s all evening with 1.84-2.0 60s in 80 degree weather.
Then i took it to the dyno and saw I was still very rich with those settings so I changed valve springs and bought a wideband.

Ide work up the boost to the 23+ range thats on the chip...watch for knock...and i bet the car wakes up a bit

If you are running the car in your sig...... there is good news and bad news......

The bad news is.... you are too slow for your combo on 20 psi. The good news is.... you should be able with some sticky tires and some help tuning.... get it into the 11's maybe even at the same boost.

IMHO, a 6152 turbo @ 20 psi should go bottom 12's or even into the 11's on a relatively stock car with bolt-on's.

Your 104 trap speed is also indicating you aren't making the power you need to be. My car went almost 108 mph on 22 psi with the stock turbo and alky (stock unopenend motor with 150k miles) the 1st time I took it to the 1/4 mile track and it was far from tuned properly....

Your 60' times need major work. I would think with a little work you should be sub 1.7 60' times..... which would automatically get you .3 to .4 in the 1/4 with no other changes. With a little more work.... you should be able to get in the low 1.60's or high 1.50's which would be another tenth or two.....

With proper tuning.... and the alky kit you have.... you should be able to tune your way slowly up to 25-26 psi on about 19 - 20 deg timing in high gear...... and get into the lower 11's if the 60' time is good enough. Trap speeds should be above 120 @ 25 - 26 psi I would think.

Where are you located?

MD. I already have 235 mickeys t's. I think my factory drum brakes need some work to build boost better on the line. A line lock may be my next buy. The chip I have is made for 21-24 psi boost, so the boost level you've mentioned is a bit past the capability of my stock motor. I want to keep it together so I'd like to be a little conservative. My average 60 ft. times are probably because all of the suspension is original, never touched. Thanks for responding. Tim

You would be surprised how much boost the original engine can handle as long as you do not detonate the motor. I run 26 psi on a regular basis and have run as much as 30 psi numerous times, but never on alky. I strickly use leaded race gas while at the track. I have my cat removed and a Denso O2 sensor and have not had any issues with my O2 sensor due to race gas. I agree with Blazer406, with proper tuning and suspension work you will see much improved times.