pressure test results!!!!

1985GN

Breaking parts
ok here is the results i took a gauge from work and hooked it up to the GN after the GN had been sitting all night and day so it was ice cold. so the first test is with the car ice cold: all tests were done at 1000 RPMS

(P & N) Min.....70-73 Max.... 210-240
(R ) Min.....145 Max.....240
( OD & D) Min.....70-73 Max....210-240
( 1 & 2 ) Min.....160ish Max....160ish

ok now the next part of the test was done after a 15minute ride and getting on the car too so it gets nice and hot.

( P & N ) Min......70-73 Max....150-175
( R ) Min.....140 Max.....120ish
( OD & D ) Min......75ish Max.......160ish
( 1 & 2 ) Min......125-140 Max.....130-150

How do these numbers look and on some of the ones the needle was bouncing around so that why i have some numbers as a between. let me know guys, thanks

Not bad for stock tranny, operating temp ones are the ones you need to be concerned with as these are what the tranny sees when running. Your rev. max. is way low, also these #'s are all way low for a performance rebuild. There is nothing you can adjust short of the TV cable that will fix your 2-3 shift probs. It is most likely tv valve sticking, servo seals or some thing wrong in the direct clutch system. You could try a VB (shift) kit or pressure regulator system, they may help, but if its a problem with the direct clutch system they may help you find your problem out for sure.:eek: :confused: :D

Pressures are very low. No low boost. I would try just taking out the PR system and inspect and maybe reinstall. It seems very low to me. Is the transfer pipe in VB well? It sure seems like boost isnt working.

ok how do i order the PR system?? and what about checking out the VB transfer tube or whatever it was called...lol. how do i go about doing those? bruce since i have the thing down already do you recommend putting in your PR for more pressure? latelyt i notice what sounds like a metal on aluminum tapping noise but only in park, i cant tell if it is coming from the tranny. when i put the car in any other gear it is not there only in park. could this be the convertor or tranny inside?? it sounds liek a piston with no rings slapping around in a cylinder sound. let me know what i should do when i ahve the pan down?? anything else to look for? how about band adjustemt?? how about servo waht do i look for in that? thanks for the help. the 1-2 and 3-4 shift nice and hard. the 2-3 flairs at 3/4 throttle and just hesistates and sometimes flairs at WOT. last time it did this the guy readjusted the servo pin and it worked great but now it is back? the tranny is nott that old. thanks

ok somehting new i found. if i hold and shift the car at 5500 in second instead of 5000 it doesnt slip as much? waht could that mean? does pressure rise on theese cars when you have your foot on the pedal like oil pressure and fule pressure?? could i have a pressure rising prob? thanks guys

No when you hold the shift lever down in 1st or 2nd this raises the pressure in the transmission no matter what RPMs with the "low boost vavle" right under the pressure regulater vavle, so you will always get a firmer shift if you hold the lever in 1st even if you shift at your normal 5000 RPMs. Because your trans dont slip when you hold the lever down tells me ( I ant no expert ) that you need more pressure or are losing it somewere. I would get Bruces PRV and give the tranny a new filter and see what happens

Originally posted by 1985GN
ok somehting new i found. if i hold and shift the car at 5500 in second instead of 5000 it doesnt slip as much? waht could that mean? does pressure rise on theese cars when you have your foot on the pedal like oil pressure and fule pressure?? could i have a pressure rising prob? thanks guys

Reason probobly is at 5000 the motor is making more power. at 5500 motor power falls off so trans doesnt have to apply as "firm" It is a common problem and a stock 2004r gn will shift harder 1-2 in od than manully shifted with more pressure. Want to know why? The lr clutch cannot get off fast enough to beat the band on. so it kinda "drags" as the shift occurs. Ever notice how it goes to mush when high rpm manual 1-2 shift is made but it dont do it when shifting by itself? that is because on the od 1-2 shift all that has to happen is the band coming on where as with the manual shift, lr has to release before band is on.
Bet you money on a dyno, your car makes more power at 5000 than at 5500, and I personally do not reccommend a turbo regal stk block, without extensive work, be revved over 5000 as it has NO gain or usually will run slower.
Just my take.....

Bruce
WE4

You are kidding, Right?

Originally posted by 1985GN

AND What kind of question is this? :)

You know your TV cable? Well it aint for watching TV!!!!! !:eek:ROFL

Think about it, with all you have read on here ( the forum) I would think that question at this point should be self explanatory! If not, dude find a trans shop......NOW... Heheheh

You did make me chuckle tho so I thank you for that :D

And , I hope you are smiling at least after you read this. :D

Bruce
WE4

Joe??

DAT YOU?

Man , been awhile.... I thought you may have run off and joined a convent or somethin....ROFL! :eek:

Glad you are back around!!!!!:D

Bruce
WE4