prepping trim for SEM paint?

topfuel

nitro sniffer
I'm going to refinish all my black trim with SEM trim black.

Last night I prepped the outside door handles and locks by cleaning with acetone, sanding with 600 and then cleaned at least three more times with acetone before spraying.

They turned out ok, but there are some areas on the handles that have what I would call fisheyes, like the surface wasn't totally clean.

Is there a better way to prep when I do the rest of my trim?

It's better not to use solvents prepping for refinishing a panel or part, no matter what kind of paint you're spraying. If you can, use soap and water, or something like Westley's Bleachwhite, or some other cleaner. Most times, solvents will promote "fisheyes".

Brake cleaner? Now, why didn't I know that? Must be common knowledge in Rustland where you live. I've painted hundreds of cars and I should have been doing wipe downs with brake cleaner :rolleyes: all this time, and I just never knew. :( No. What one has to know is that a particular solvent or cleaner that one has chosen to use will not cause the paint to "fisheye". A test panel or part will tell the tale. I can guarantee that using a grease removing detergent will not promote fisheyes but the same can't be said about many solvents like acetone, enamel reducer, or lacquer thinner.

I agree w/ John...The trim parts were not done w/ paint, to begin with. Use of a solvent that soaks into the coating can/will cause problems. Want them done permanently... Powder coat them.

okay thanks for the advice guys.

I'll give the soapy water a try on the next pieces, are we talking car wash soap or dishwashing liquid? The trim all has been waxed recently and I'm concerned soapy water isn't enough to strip the wax.

I also mentioned Westley's blechwhite or any degreasing type detergent. Detergent does remove wax although wax probably wasn't the problem. The solvent you used to degrease and remove the wax was. Also, when you go for your first coat, don't spray wet. Kind of dust it first to check and see if their is any unwanted reaction. You're not spraying a gloss color, so just work on getting even coverage.

Thanks for the tip Red Regal.

I washed first with dishwashing detergent then used the Westleys Bleachwhite with a scotchbrite pad, and finally wet sanded with 400.

The paint went on smooth and the trim looks great

some pics of the results

The lower windshield trim came out really nice, I was concerned about this piece, being the biggest flat area but it looks mint.

attachment.php

windshield trim, rain gutters, b-pillar trim, door handles and locks all freshly painted. New outer window sweeps, and new upper and lower door weatherstripping, and lock cylinder seals.

attachment.php

The car is really coming together nicely

Attachments

• Buick grill 031.jpg
    Buick grill 031.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 283
  • Buick grill 028.jpg
    Buick grill 028.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 277
Looks excellent! SEM lays out really nice. I wish I could say the same for a fender and FG bumper I painted this weekend. :(