Preparing for Emissions Test: CA

6=8

11 Year GN Owner/Operator
Looking for some advice in getting ready for this test. I am planning on or have done the following based on reviewing the many posts on this topic:

1. New Plug Wires (Less than 4 months old)
2. Plugs, new, Gap tight 0.035
3. Change oil
4. Re-install old turbo bell-mouth inlet/breather (Failed the "Visual" last time without!)
5. New 30 lb. Injectors (Runs way rich now)
6. Stock Regulator
7. New Chip, 91 Octane for above injectors (On the Way)
8. Engine stock (EGR/Turbo/Heads/Cam/new springs)
9. Has Cat... It is old though
10. GET IT REAL HOT BEFORE TESTING

I've read conflicting posts regarding fuel PSI. Some say lower it, some say leave it alone. I have an adjustable unit, but would like to hold off installing it... If I do put it on, I'm thinking of painting it BLACK to avoid the picky inspectors I always seem to get (Bunch of EPA huggers around here). The last one wanted to fail me for a failed gas cap for crying out loud! I finally convinced him to throw away the cap and I would buy a new one on the way home... Gee, thanks.

Car has 160K miles, and oil control is, lets just say, a little on the loose side! I'm worried with these new injectors too... I know they are considered "Stock Replacement" but I see black smoke/High O2 counts when I'm into the throttle. It's a pig at this point, injectors were the only recent change.

Any recommendations on what I should run in the tank? I'll even fill up on 87 octane and wire the wastegate open if it will help!

So, any other recommendations? I need this to pass. It's my only car! (And, moving to another state is not an option!)

TIA!

If you have a stock chip, put that one in the car. Better yet is the stock recall chip. Seems to me adding a quart or so of denatured alcohol to half tank of gas helps?

Hope you saved your stock injectors as the 30's have always been questionable for me. Just got a 124k mile GN through the AZ test, which is probably more strigent than yours, and used 36# injectors with a stock recall chip [and alcohol].

Thanks for the ingredients!

Thanks Nick!

I found that Casper’s sells the stock recall chip (Damn, another $45...) Would you recommend this chip over getting one tuned for the 30 lb’ers?

I did keep the stock injectors, but they were a source of a few problems themselves (And one broke taking the rail off... Doh!) I doubt they would be worth getting repaired at this point.

I'll get that alcohol too!

Thanks a million Nick!

Since emissions is getting to be a pain for many of us, maybe this post is the start of a recipe that could be added to gnttype tech?

nick how did you get the car to idle with the shock chip and blue tops? my recall chip did not even come close to being drivable!

Dathan

I recently passed with my setup and was even more nervous than you because I was getting tested for the first time on my engine swap (see sig). I had to take it to an official state "smog referree" and it got a lot of scrutiny. But my setup is real similar to yours and I passed without any trouble:D. Boy was I relieved:eek: . (This was in the Palm Spring area.)

One thing is to make sure your EGR is working properly. Also, you'll want to use your stock FPR and a stock chip. Also, I didn't use any gas additives, the motor had about 125k, good compression, totally stock appearing, and was freshly tuned throughout with new valve springs and timing chain. The smog guys were impressed to see a clean and well-maintained engine bay, so I think that convinced them I wasn't trying to pull any BS. Other than that, I don't have any secrets.

Good luck!:cool:

I PASSED.JUST TOOK OFF THE BREATHERS.
I HAVE A REBUILT ENGINE, MINOR PORT WORK,WITH 208/208 CAM,T49 W/STOCK BELL (FOR THE VISUAL),BLACK ADJUSTABLE WASTEGATE SET AT 41PSI W/ LINE OFF,ADJUSTABLE WASTEGATE,33# INJECTORS FROM ATR,A PITBULL CHIP FOR STOCK UP TO 33# INJECTORS,A KB STREET CHIP,BOTH CHIPS PASS EMISSIONS.
I HAVE SMOGED IT TWICE WITH NO PROBLEMS.
IM IN OAKLAND,CA. SO I DONT KNOW HOW DIFFRENT IT IS THERE.

I just got through AZ emissions(which is pretty tough...IM-147) a few weeks ago with MSD 50's, TE62, 206/206 cam V2 front mount and fast passed in 30 seconds...I did put a quart of denatured alcohol in just before I went which most likely helped...another thing I do which may or may not help is put hotter plugs in...usually run AC42TS...but put in AC44TS for emissions...as for the fuel pressure just check the BLM's and make sure they hover around 128...setting it too low will actually hurt you more than help...as for gas as long as it's unleaded it shouldn't make a difference...I had a mixture of 101 and 91 unleaded when I passed...more 101 than 91...

Originally posted by ttypenssrider
I PASSED.JUST TOOK OFF THE BREATHERS.
I HAVE A REBUILT ENGINE, MINOR PORT WORK,WITH 208/208 CAM,T49 W/STOCK BELL (FOR THE VISUAL),BLACK ADJUSTABLE WASTEGATE SET AT 41PSI W/ LINE OFF,ADJUSTABLE WASTEGATE,33# INJECTORS FROM ATR,A PITBULL CHIP FOR STOCK UP TO 33# INJECTORS,A KB STREET CHIP,BOTH CHIPS PASS EMISSIONS.
I HAVE SMOGED IT TWICE WITH NO PROBLEMS.
IM IN OAKLAND,CA. SO I DONT KNOW HOW DIFFRENT IT IS THERE.

The difference is enhanced emissions test procedure. ASM 5015, ASM 2525 followed by visual, functional and liquid fuel leak test. No EGR functional is required in enhanced area, because NOx is measured during the dynomometer emissions test. And regarding AZ, I suspect that state uses a reduced version of I/M240 (another dyno type emissions test. In Oakland your tailpipe test is two-speed idle, and your car should blow close to zeros for HC and CO, with a lot of CO2 (14.7:1 or better). My car passes CA dyno test. No changes.