Precision Converters

chadly

I’m unfortunately in the need of another transmission rebuild. I will travel to Chicago and have Jimmys Transmissions perform the work (same day turn around). He recommends that I go with a 3200 Precision torque converter. I trust what he says I just don’t really want to spend the extra $700 especially since my current 3000 converter only has about 500 miles on it. He says the Precision converters are the bomb!

Are the Precision converters worth the money? Am I going to be able to tell the difference from my 3000 I have now? Are these the converters that make the rattle noise I’ve read others complain about? Again I’m not second guessing what I’ve been told form Jimmy, just looking for some more insight.

Thanks
Chad

converter

how are you using the car ? street/race are you locking the converter at WOT ? need more info:smile:

if you currently have a 3000 12" converter, I would get the vigilante. Even with the TA51. I bouhgt a 10" Neal Chance from him for $500 that I have been happy with as well.

At this point I’m just using the car as a Sunday afternoon back road cruiser. Eventually I would like to go to the track but the car will always be more of a cruiser. As far as locking up the convert I’m not, nor do I know how or even what is required to do so.

Thanks

I have a 5 disc and it does not rattle. I have a single disc in one car and it is quiet too.

Only the multi disc versions rattle (but not that badly).

If your car is just going to be a cruiser, go with the single disc Precision unit.

Some rattle more than others, mine you could hear 30' away no problem. I would go with something else like ati or ptc conveter or art carr.

I’m unfortunately in the need of another transmission rebuild. I will travel to Chicago and have Jimmys Transmissions perform the work (same day turn around). He recommends that I go with a 3200 Precision torque converter. I trust what he says I just don’t really want to spend the extra $700 especially since my current 3000 converter only has about 500 miles on it. He says the Precision converters are the bomb!

Are the Precision converters worth the money? Am I going to be able to tell the difference from my 3000 I have now? Are these the converters that make the rattle noise I’ve read others complain about? Again I’m not second guessing what I’ve been told form Jimmy, just looking for some more insight.

Thanks
Chad
they are worth the money and you will for sure feel a difference from a 12 inch torque converter !!:cool:

I just installed my 3000stall PTC converter today and boy did it make a differance. just the weight savings going from a 12" to 10" is huge. The car is much more responsive, turbo spools quicker and the car is just faster overall. Im very happy with the converter that dusty got for me.

I just installed my 3000stall PTC converter today and boy did it make a differance. just the weight savings going from a 12" to 10" is huge. The car is much more responsive, turbo spools quicker and the car is just faster overall. Im very happy with the converter that dusty got for me.

Hows the car cruise on the highway and light throttle?

What stall did you get and is it a lockup? what's your combo

Glad to hear the news. Let me know if you have any questions:wink:

Chadly. If Jimmy's has a Precision set-up they are familiar with that works for your combo..it will work fine. Jimmy's will know the specs to give them. My only issues with Precision is they are out in left field on stall ratings if they don't have someone telling them exactly what they want.

I spoke with Jimmy today. We decided to go with a 9 ½” single disk 32/3400 precision converter. He will build a transmission and have it ready for me on the 3rd of August. This should work out real well for me. I will drive to his shop (5 1/2 hours), he will swap transmissions with me, and I drive back home all in a day. Guess what I’ll be selling when I get home? 3000 orange stripe converter. I’ll post back and let you know what I think when its all done.

Your gonna luv the converter! I have a 3200 Stall single disc and was one of the best investments I've made thus far. I don't lock up my at the track but then again I'm happy with my runs and no need to lock it up as far as I'm concern.

Dannyo

:biggrin: Well I got the converter in today. No mistaken its there. It comes off the line like a totally different car. I like it very much.