Precision .85 A/R exhaust housing

boostedLC2

I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has changed from a high flow Precision .63 to the .85 A/R exhaust housing on a 50 series turbo (especially PT52). Are there any gains in ET and/or MPH to be had on a low 11/high 10 second car? How much did it hurt the launch or low speed driveability?

Thanks for any feedback,

Jim

Jim,

can you give some more details on the combo that you used to accomplish that 11.16 timeslip and what does the car weigh w/driver?

TIA

Scottie,

The motor is all stock except for GM Gen IE V8 valve springs. Trans is all stock except for a couple of minor tweaks I did myself (poor man's shift kit). I'm using a new 10" Yank converter which stalls at 3400 rpm at 5# boost and I lock it just past the 1/8th mile. As the sig says I'm running a PT52 (w/ .63 housing) and PTE F/M intercooler. Delphi 50# injectors, stock MAF with my own 22 deg chip, Walbro 340, THDP, ATR 2.5" exhaust, etc....

In race trim the car weighs 3450# with me in it. I run a 50/50 mix of 110 leaded and 100 unleaded and typically set the boost at 25-26#. Last time at the track, launching off the foot brake at 5#, I got a 60' of 1.49 sec.

HTH,

Jim

Although I've made such a swap on my 86 and documented the results, I'm afraid my car and turbo aren't quick enough to fit your criteria.
:(

What were your results Dave? Did you do the swap on a 50 series or a TE44?

Thanks for your time.

Jim

It was with my 44, and I gained just over a tenth, 1.5 mph.

Dave,

You switched twice, from the garrett to a .63 PTE, and then to the .85 PTE.

I just don't remember the incremental changes......

Bob

Originally posted by TurboBob
Dave,

You switched twice, from the garrett to a .63 PTE, and then to the .85 PTE.

I just don't remember the incremental changes......

Bob

Correct. I gained about the same amount with each change (1-1.5tenth and 1-1.5mph with each housing upgrade). The turbine housing changes got me into the 11's (11.90's@114.5). The Translator/Extender and MSD's took me where I am today :D

Thanks for the info Dave/Bob.

Dave - did you notice much of a change in driveability or low end launch/60' when you went from the high flow .63 to the .85?

Jim

Sorry, been busy ;)

No changes in driveability that I was able to notice. Nothing changed in my 60' times. I was running 16" MT E/T Streets for the last couple years, so my 60' times pretty much sucked, but consistently sucked. Around 1.68(best) to mid 1.7's

slowed my car down switching from a Garrett to Precision.....Garrett is back on there (.63)

a 1.49 60' is very impressive on 5 lbs....I need 15 lbs or better to get 1.4x 60's (on 28X9 slicks....3600 stall)

I had also pondered the thought of going to a .85 housing (I'm running a PT51). With a 5# launch I'm seeing 1.54-55 60' times. That's with a 28" tire and the Precision .63 hounsing I'm running now. Car weighs 3600# with me in it.

-Banning.