Pre-purchase Questions.

Canadian GTP

Hi guys! Very excited to be joining the Turbo Regal World Again (had '87 T-Type stolen in 92).

Im currently looking for either an '86 or '87 Grand National. Specifically 50,000 Miles or less, un-modded. So - wish me luck ;)

But as I've been watching I have a couple questions with some parts of the GN's i keep seeing.

1) Why do the steering wheel centre caps differ (some have the buick logo, and some have the turbo 6 symbol). I know T-Type had the "T".

2) I plan on keeping it for a collector, Does anyone here see a big value difference down the line for 86' vs. 87'

3) What's the easiest way to ensure the car has the posi-trac option?

Thanks All!!!

Good luck on your search. They can be found, but have the $$$ ready!

I have only been dealing with mine for about 8 yrs now. From what I have seen, opinions vary on almost every aspect on these cars (and you know what they say about opinions). If you like I will give you mine.

1 - I don't think the turbo 6 symbol is factory. Our original interior (except for the radio) 87GN has the buick tri-shield logo. I think the T symbol was only on the "turbo T's" and I believe they were only 1 year (but I don't remember which).

2 - I personally think the 86's are more valuable than the 87's. They are more rare. Everybody seems to want the 87's because they were the last year, and that seems to drive the cost difference around. Not to mention 87 was a very good year! Again, opinions vary.

3 - Cjacobs answer.

Canadian GTP said:
Hi guys! Very excited to be joining the Turbo Regal World Again (had '87 T-Type stolen in 92).

Im currently looking for either an '86 or '87 Grand National. Specifically 50,000 Miles or less, un-modded. So - wish me luck ;)

But as I've been watching I have a couple questions with some parts of the GN's i keep seeing.

1) Why do the steering wheel centre caps differ (some have the buick logo, and some have the turbo 6 symbol). I know T-Type had the "T".

2) I plan on keeping it for a collector, Does anyone here see a big value difference down the line for 86' vs. 87'

3) What's the easiest way to ensure the car has the posi-trac option?

Thanks All!!!

1. The turbo 6 symbol is definitely aftermarket.
All Gns had the buick tri-shield and the turbo-ts had the red T.
The t-types had red "t-type".
It has been rumored that some GNs had the red T bc it is possible that the factory ran out of the buick tri-shield, so they just used what was available. I dont know if this is true.

2. As far as year, i would not go crazy. It's hard enogh to find a decent GN.
When i searched for my GN about 12 years ago, I looked at 15 cars over 4 months and only 3 cars were mint and i bought 1 of those mint ones!.

I would be very carful of clones and odometer roll back. Dont be in a rush and do all of your hw and researching!

Frank

Thanks guys! I'll definately keep the '86 in mind while the search is on. I see this group is going to be as helpful and enjoyable as my GrandPrix group.

Can't wait to show you guys the first pix when i find her. :D

2badgn said:
I would be very carful of clones and odometer roll back. Dont be in a rush and do all of your hw and researching!
Frank is definetly right on the money with this one.
There are a bunch of them out there that aren't what they seem.
Certainly don't be in a rush.
I lucked out, all I had to do to get my GN was marry the owner.
But I didn't mind! :biggrin:

I already know where my next one is going to come from, I just hope I can afford it when he is ready to sell.

Good Luck!

So, question about clones. Im fairly versed in this, as I owned a 87 T-Type and I was aware of the diff's with the GN's but it's been 12 years.

Is there a very distinct thing to look for that is either very difficult or unlikely that a cloned Turbo Regal would have? Searching Ebay (even today) I see several misinformed cars (ie. a GN with a hood emblem). I won't buy a car I can't see, touch and drive so Ebay rides are mostly out of the question. (Distance will determine this)

Any good suggestions on spotting a falsely claimed "Grand National"?

Thanks!

[edit] - as a "case in point" would this following regal, be a false claim on it being a "Grand National"?

Thanks

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Buick-Grand-Nati...oryZ6137QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I dont think that GN is a clone but i could be wrong. No Gns came with the hood ornament--only turbo ts and t types.

Maybe the owner liked the ornament and changed the header panel.

12 years GN clones did not exist. (at least they were not as popular back then)

Tips on spotting a clone:

1. There are places where the VIN is located - u will have to do a search bc i dont remember all the places- i think the engine block, frame

2. Ask a lot of questions and visually inspect the car!

3. I would be careful if the car has alterations that differ from the GN such as any chrome trim, no powermaster brakes, different rims, different radio, etc.

You can also check the trunk id label and see if there is a sheet from the factory under the back seat - i believe.

Frank

Here's an image of the SPID label found on the underside of the trunk lid. First, make sure the VIN on it matches the car. Second, make sure WE2 is there. That makes it a GN. :)

Attachments

• spid_label.jpg
    spid_label.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 82