IAC interchangeability

BlackFox

Fell into a rabbit hole trying to make sure I am getting the right iac valve for my '84 hot air turbo t-type.Kirban has one for sale ,but lists it as for '86&'87,called Kirban and was told it was for 86 & 87 only. I called a gm buick dealer and that was an experience! Finally came up with a
part # which a dealer in southern In had.Called him and he verified the delco part# (17079599) was for 1984-85 turbo regal/t-type/grand national. There are plenty listed on e-bay,parts geek, and amazon.But I am leary of some of them regarding reliability.
Since I am getting all the efi system dialed in I figure I would go with delco,although it cost more.I am curious though if the 86-87 iac would have been ok.

BLACK FOX

Check Rock Auto, IAC - GM Genuine 217437 - {OEM Part Number 25527077}

Man...... I've been goin' thru the same thing , for 4) Years. I hate to do this to you......But I have this part # , on good, reliable & Veteran advice from this Forum.
...... The original AC Delco Part # was 25530695 . Of Course, they are discontinued. AC Delco now say's that # 217-3116 is the same????

I've installed the Rock Auto - GM Genuine 217437 on my 85 without any issues, but I did swap over to 86/87 ECM. Not sure this made any difference. I didn't convert to IC..... ;)

Sorry , But part # 25527077 is for an intercooled Car.
well i guess i will try it because 2 gm dealer parts guys have that part # for 84 &85 turbo and i am stuck with a new iac.Has anyone heard of any with this part #put on an 84 or 85turbo. the one that is in it now has this on the paper sticker 5048850
Delco Products
Assembled In Mexico
339 3 1 11 4 350

well i guess i will try it because 2 gm dealer parts guys have that part # for 84 &85 turbo and i am stuck with a new iac.Has anyone heard of any with this part #put on an 84 or 85turbo. the one that is in it now has this on the paper sticker 5048850
Delco Products
Assembled In Mexico
339 3 1 11 4 350
sorry but i have been looking at so many part #'s but the one i am getting is #17079599 for 84-85 turbo

i believe i have a brand new gm one in the box at the house.. how much they worth i might let it go?

Hey Brent.....If you do locate it , can you please post the part # ? Then we can put this to bed, ( Mainly for the search option here ) :cool:
....Richie

Oh....btw,
One thing to look for , if one is buying an aftermarket one , let's say like Walker , Standard, & the others, is the spring return on the Pintle. AC Delco always used a much ' tighter ' wound spring than the others . I try , in my part search efforts, to allway's compare that , after narrowing it down to the '84 -'85 's cross numbers. Just Say'n
....Richie

Oh....btw,
One thing to look for , if one is buying an aftermarket one , let's say like Walker , Standard, & the others, is the spring return on the Pintle. AC Delco always used a much ' tighter ' wound spring than the others . I try , in my part search efforts, to allway's compare that , after narrowing it down to the '84 -'85 's cross numbers. Just Say'n
....Richie
Hey Richie, Here's one that I removed from a running driving 85 GN rust bucket I parted out. It has NO numbers on it. What ya think it is? Thanks Mikey

Attachments

• DSCN0239.JPG
    DSCN0239.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 79
  • DSCN0240.JPG
    DSCN0240.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 75
Hello there Mikey, How's the 'ol Back, Pal ? ..... AnyHoo , Sure looks like a Standard " AC3 " to me ?

the IAC pintle plug is different for 84-85 vs 86-87. as such, the machined seat in the throttle body is different. length of stroke might also be different.

with the cad or yellow zinc body on what Mike shows pics above, Standard's AC3 is the same part as the Wells (WVE) and Walker IAC units from pics on rockauto. same manufacturer/supplier, just different brand packaging. link below.

1984 BUICK REGAL 3.8L 231cid V6 Turbocharged Idle Air Control (IAC) Valve | RockAuto

for comparison, see pics on rockauto for 86-87 showing two-step taper in plug vs straight taper for 84-85. link below.

1987 BUICK REGAL 3.8L 231cid V6 Turbocharged Idle Air Control (IAC) Valve | RockAuto

pic below is IAC label on NOS hot air crate engine. not sure what you can do with that other than seeing DOM is 257th day of 1983. suffice to say year, make model lookup for IAC's is correct on rockauto.

P1030910.JPG

Thanks Anthony..... That Part # look's familiar.. :unsure: I can Suffice to say that GM was almost Secretive in this Part & #. :rolleyes:

Are you still with Us , Black Fox ? :whistle: This can be Fun.....Sometimes ;)
Any Hoo, Like Anthony P just stated , 'bout the aftermarket guys, Get a load of this : At least they've researched some of the Part # 's & can't beat the Price . One could buy 10 & see which one sticks. :ROFLMAO:

ULTRA-POWER
Go to RockAuto Home Page
More Information for ULTRA-POWER AC3
left_arrow_white.png
Continue Shopping

ULTRA-POWER AC3

qty_down_white.png
qty_up_white.png
$9.28
Price
Add to Cart

<

>
Part image
Ultra-Power products come from a variety of sources including re-packaged, well-known brands and ISO/TSO/QS certified overseas factories. They share some of the same suppliers as the big brands do but keep costs low to pass the savings on to you.

WARNING: This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer, and birth defects or other reproductive harm. For more information go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.
Alternate/OEM Part Number(s): 17079599, 22048225, 25530695

ULTRA-POWER Warranty Information:
12 Months

I'm going to throw this out there. This is the OEM IAC taken off from my 85. I know it's the original part.
The number on it is:
A1744
It's of the 86/87 two-step taper pintle. :unsure:
At some point Buick must of made a change during the production of the 84 - 85 Hot Airs. My car came off the assembly line Oct 14th 1984.
85 IAC Orig.jpg85 IAC PN 90513 A1744.jpg

I kind of feel like the joker (Jack Nicholson) on the first BatMan movie when he said"Who Do Ya Trust! Hubba,Hubba Hubba!

I would trust Anthony. He knows his shit. I have a 84 throttle body on the shelf and removed the IAC to see and it had the pintle he described for the 84. It also has the same PN #5048850 & DOM is 229th day of 1983.

1984 IAC PN 5048850.jpg
Not all Hot Airs were created equal.

Last edited: