Powerstroke performance

tyrod

Any links to some Ford 7.3L Powerstroke real world performance results using popular pcm mods, propane, etc?

UnderdogGN, thanks for replying. My truck has Hypertech 3 tuning which only goes up to 50 hp and100 ft/lbs. Does the Diablos diagnostic abilities live up to the advertising? Its the one I have had my eye on. In your opinion or observation, did you get the power they advertise? I have an 02 4-door 4x4 that weighs in at 7500lbs with me in it. G-tech showed 83mph 1/4 and 9.5 0-60 measurements. Have youbypassed the blowby out of your intake? I couldnt believe how much oil goes in to it. I have a 3/4 in hose running out the bottom of the truck from the valve cover outlet. Time measurements were when the truck had 1100lbs of tools and equipment that have since been removed.

I have a 2000 crew cab F350. I love the diablo tuner. I have not done any testing but seat of the pants is like night and day. The truck feels like it dropped about 2500 lbs. I have not had the opportunity to use the diagnostic portion yet. We used the diagnostic portion of the superchip to pull codes from my brothers truck and it worked fine. I am actually 1bad85gn. I think my nephew must have logged on to my computer.
I also have not changed the bypass? I just started modding my truck about 2 weeks ago. FIPK and tuner only so far. I just ordered a 4 inch turbo back stainless exhaust. Can you tell me more about the bypass?

I have a 2000 GMC with a duramax nothing but problems, and a new 6.0 powerstroke. The 6.0 is an awsome truck! Even in stock form. Just my .02.

A 2000 Duramax? The first year was 2001. I have had no problems with mine. The 6.0 Powerstrokes on the other hand. Everytime I buy something other than a GM product, I have nothing but problems. I have a friend that is an engineer at Ford who has nothing but problems with anything but Fords. I guess you stick with what works.

Instead of butting heads, why not give examples of what actually goes wrong on them instead of bashing them.

Our Duramax was purchased in 2000, so it's probably an 01. We've had a lot of injector problems with it. It only has 115k on it. When it's running it runs well! Our older Fords have had lots of auto trans problems. I'm hoping this is solved with the new 5 speed auto that we now have. There are pro's and con's to both i'm sure. It just depends on how you look at it.

I have been waiting for a thread like this as I have been looking at 3/4 ton Fords and GMs with diesels. Even though Dodge has a great diesel engine, I am not keen on the rest of the truck.
I am on the fence. The pro's right now for the GM are the Allison trans and the 10year/100k mile engine/trans warranty.
I like the Fords for their over all construction and the track record of the Power Strokes. The Ford warranty is only 5year/50k mile and the transmissions consistantly have problems.

I do own a 02 3500 dodge cummins HO, and the dodges do have alot of problems with the autos also. 3rd gear goes out and you only have 1st and 2nd.
Mine is a 6 speed, has not been to the stealership since the day i bought it. i got the factory 7/100K drivetrain warranty for zero extra.

If i were to purchase any of the 3 again, im not selling the one ive got now, i think that i would get a 2500 4 door chevy with the alli and 4x4.
Ford makes a good truck, but the dealerships here are crooks and screwed us on injectors twice on our work 99 stroke. 215,000 miles, weighs 16,000 lbs and still hangin in there!

Even thou the duramax has had plenty of fuel related issues, i do like the horsepower they put out and creature comforts my current dodge does not have.

BW

Our Duramax has the Allison and the trans has been great! Not a problem in over 100k. Our older 7.3 powerstrokes with the 4 speed auto's have many trans problems. I now have the 04 6.0 Powerstroke with the Torqueshift 5 speed auto and it has 29k on it and it has not missed a beat, neither the motor or the trans! Time will tell though. I have read on other diesel forums and they talk about the 6.0 having cold startup knock, excessive smoke and poor performance. I think some people get in their diesel in 30 degree weather and think they can drive away without proper warm up. They forget that diesels are alot different than gas motors and they need to be plugged in or kept in a warm garage to achieve optimal cold start performance and to avoid cylinder wall washdown on a cold motor. I do believe GM offers the Allison behind their gas motors also,

Originally posted by UnderdogGN
I have a 2000 crew cab F350. I love the diablo tuner. I have not done any testing but seat of the pants is like night and day. The truck feels like it dropped about 2500 lbs. I have not had the opportunity to use the diagnostic portion yet. We used the diagnostic portion of the superchip to pull codes from my brothers truck and it worked fine. I am actually 1bad85gn. I think my nephew must have logged on to my computer.
I also have not changed the bypass? I just started modding my truck about 2 weeks ago. FIPK and tuner only so far. I just ordered a 4 inch turbo back stainless exhaust. Can you tell me more about the bypass?
Driver side crank case ventilation . Disconnect the hose between the air filter and the turbo (2 hoses) from the ccv, and hold on to something when you look into this contraption. unbolt the 2 small bolts that connect it to the bracket. Cut the band off of the hose on the bottom of the contraption your are about to chunk but leave it attached to the valve cover assm. Get a section of 4" exhaust pipe or intake pipe to take the place of the contraption. Get a double male 3/4" hose connector with clamps and about 4or 5 ft. of 3/4" heater hose. Turn the 90 degree section of hose left on the valve cover assm toward the drvr side fender and connect your heater hose and run it to the bottomside of the truck. You will notice better throttle response. You might as well flush your intercooler it will probably have a lot of oily residue in it. Dont put a valve cover breather in the filler neck. Gets grime on every thing. Tyrod

I have a 92 dodge cumings. 350k so far with no tranny problems. no engine problems. I have changed the fan clutch, radiator and a few u joints. it has 33" tires and pulls my car around allot. i never have to go below 70mph pulling my car no matter how big the hill and there are some pretty big hills here in the rockies. the thing is just awesome!

my only complaint is it rides rough with the solid axle compared to the newer chevys fords and dodges.

I wish dodge had a bigger rear seat like the fords. that would be nice.

Originally posted by buickboy
Buy a Duramax!
that's a duraslack:D

I have a 03 6.0 powerstroke, about the only probs. has been a blown intercooler hose, & 1 bad inj., I'm debating about doing methenahol injection. from what I'm hearing it drops the egts a few hundred *s & adds horsepower:D (from windshield washer fluid) my truck is used for towing a good portion of it's time.

Originally posted by Race Jace
I have a 92 dodge cumings. 350k so far with no tranny problems. no engine problems. I have changed the fan clutch, radiator and a few u joints. it has 33" tires and pulls my car around allot. i never have to go below 70mph pulling my car no matter how big the hill and there are some pretty big hills here in the rockies. the thing is just awesome!

my only complaint is it rides rough with the solid axle compared to the newer chevys fords and dodges.

I wish dodge had a bigger rear seat like the fords. that would be nice.
RJ, A friend of mine has a 92 2wd and is wanting to bump the 160hp up to 200. THe non-wastegate blower isnt helping in the matter. Know anyone that could shed some light here? I have noticed numerous areas to bellmouth in the intake track. Just curious if there is some hidden power to unleash like on the powerstrokes.

Originally posted by tyrod
RJ, A friend of mine has a 92 2wd and is wanting to bump the 160hp up to 200. THe non-wastegate blower isnt helping in the matter. Know anyone that could shed some light here? I have noticed numerous areas to bellmouth in the intake track. Just curious if there is some hidden power to unleash like on the powerstrokes.

It should like the extra air, I've heard that the HY-35 equipped trucks will actually gain a couple PSI out of the turbo from an intake but that should be an H1C (I think) so YMMV. The boost should be controlled by the restriction of the intake and exhaust tracts, the only reason the later diesels have wastegates is for soot reduction, or at least is my understanding. Any sort of restriction you pull out of the intake and exahuast path (porting, catback downpipe etc.) should help you out.

Originally posted by tyrod

you guys are looking at from a Buick point of view. increasing the fuel is where the power is in a diesel engine. On your friends dodge there are mechanical adjustments he can do to the pump to give it allot more power. I cut two seconds off of my 1/4 times just by adjusting the pump to give it more fuel. With the added fuel you get an increase in boost. wastegates are really not needed as pumping too much air in them only makes the egt lower (safer) it is kinda opposite of what you are used to.