powermaster to vacuum conversion

garrett

I'm sure this has been covered on this forum in the past, so pardon the repeating of this problem please. A friend of mine has been having problems in his 86 GN with his powermaster. He decide he wanted to go with vacuum brakes on the car. He brought it to a restoration shop that is used to working on older cars and they installed vacuum brakes on the car. They did not change the pedal, they redrilled the existing pedal. When my friend went to pick up his car, he explained that the pedal initially felt good, but half way down it suddenly stopped and became too firm. he called me at work asking for advice. I thought the problem might be that the rod which actuates the master cylinder might be adjusted too long. They supposedly rechecked this and could not come up with a solution. My friend told them to put the Powermaster system back on the car and he drove the GN home. I'm going to help him with it tonight when I get home from work. Any constructive input would be appreciated.

Maybe try to pick up a real G-body vacuum assist pedal. It may be that the new hole is not placed correctly. I just did this swap on my car using a vacuum assist pedal & everything went smoothly.

Good luck
~JM~