Powermaster question

cwelk87gn

XCELR8S
Ive researched this forum and have confirmed my suspicions about this stock powermaster setup... it sucks. Ive had my GN for a couple of months now and only drive it once in a while. Well last night I was driving it home from work and some dude in an ancient Volvo with a typical setup of 1 tail light and no brake lights slams on brakes to turn. Of course I naturally stomped the brakes on the GN to avoid running over Sven and his Swedish wunderwagon and my car locked up all four wheels!! I've owned over 20 cars and driven hundreds more and NEVER had a car lock the wheels up so violently and unexpectedly. my family owns 3 auto salvage yards and would LOVE to convert this car over to a vacuum system, any clue what other cars (late model) would be a good candidate for donor parts????

Any 1978 to 1988 GM G-Body will work. The best set up is the small tandem diaphram style booster with an aluminum body MC. Millions of them out there for the taking. Just make sure you also swap over the pedal. The brake lines are reversed on the MC but all you need to do is bend them in the right direction.

Eric Fisher

Originally posted by cwelk87gn
Of course I naturally stomped the brakes on the GN to avoid running over Sven and his Swedish wunderwagon and my car locked up all four wheels!! I've owned over 20 cars and driven hundreds more and NEVER had a car lock the wheels up so violently and unexpectedly.

Sounds like your Powermaster is working fine, you need better tires.

bad stops

Hydroboost is a possibility, but takes some doing to hook up. Vacuum assist is easier. Lots of each out there...