Powermaster problem reviewed?

TEEDOFF

ORIGINAL POWERMASTER PROBLEM & RESULTS:

The 30 amp fuse blew suddenly and I got a hard pedal with the brake light on continuously. I replaced the fuse and then disconnected the coolant fan delay relay to see if the fuse would still blow(It didn't).

I depressurized the system then, the motor ran 20 seconds but the motor didn't shut off(So I terminated the cycling of the motor to let it cool). Meanwhile, I replaced the accumulator ball with a new(Yellow striped)one! The grey pressure switch is virtually new, with less than 200 miles on it! I also replaced the check valve assembly in the master cylinder. There was no damage to the "O" ring seal on the check valve piston. But, it was somewhat stuck but the brake fluid was clean and the "O" ring ruber was not deteriorated in any way.

After doing the above, I again depressurized the powermaster and cycled the motor and it initially ran for about 13 seconds until the motor shut off. Next, I depressed the brake pedal and the motor cycled for 6 seconds before it shut off. The problem though, was that I could push the brake pedal all the way to the floor during brake cycling? Before the 30 amp fuse had blown, the brakes worked just fine! Now, I can't get a firm pedal at all-UNLESS the key is off and I depress the brake pedal to depressurize the powermaster? My car only has 48,000 miles on it!

If the brake fluid leaks back into the powermaster side reservoir, aside from an internal leak inside the master cylinder itself, could the brake fluid also leak back into the reservoir, back through the motor itself, for any reason? I had replaced the powermaster motor with a new motor from Hank Terry)approximately 200 miles ago! If not-then, where else inside the master cylinder(EXCEPT for the check valve assembly?)could brake fluid leak back into the powermaster side brake reservoir?

I'll appreciate any suggestions as to why my brake pedal can easily be pushed to the floor during brake cycling and what most likely, is the cause for this as well as what can be done to fix this problem? Keep in mind that this is the first time that the brake pedal has ever gone to the floor(Just since the 30 amp fuse blew!)otherwise the brakes had previously, worked perfectly, always! I also waited five minutes after the powermaster motor had initially filled the accumulator ball and had shut off-but, the motor did not cycle at all during this time without touching the brake pedal! There are no leaks at any of the wheel cylinders and none anywhere around the powermaster itself-nor, inside the car ? HELPPPPP!!! :rolleyes: :confused:

I can only convey my experience and my car has only 23,000 miles but they are still 18-19 years old. My fuse blew, peddle went hard and I had virtually no braking. In my case it was the switch and I later learned it was because I never changed the original brake fluid (brakes have never been touched). The old contaminated fluid caused the switch to fail and that keep blowing the fuse. No electric, no pump, no brakes. I changed the switch and totally flushed and replaced all the fluid. Solved the problem (so far). I now have a spare PM siting in the shelf. Have you bleed the system?

Where'd you score the spare accumulator bowl? There're like gold now.

1)I had only bled the powermaster unit but not the complete brake system. But as I had previously indicated, my brakes had worked perfectly(Not spongy or anything!)just before this latest incident with the 30 amp fuse blowing and then experiencing what I had described above!

2)Actually, within the last few years, I had started picking up some new accumulator balls, an complete Autozone rebuilt Powermaster unit, and now an Kirban complete rebuilt Powermaster unit! I plan to keep my car original for as long as I can-but, I'm also buying an Kirban(Complete)vacuum brake conversion kit, in case I finally want to give up fooling with the PowerMonster brake system? For now, I just want to determine what is causing my brake pedal to be easily pushed to the floor-when this situation had never occured before the 30 amp fuse had recently blown? I'm puzzled, because the motor was replaced new, the grey GM pressure switch was replaced new, now, the accumulator ball has been replaced with another new one(All within about 200 miles ago!)? Now, I wonder if my current brake problem could still be in the new Powermaster motor I had bought, or in the new grey switch, or in the master cylinder? If in the master cylinder-then how and why could this have occured on a previously, perfectly normal operating Powermaster brake system? The brake fluid is clean(No black gook or anything in the fluid!)? :mad: :confused:

Can anybody offer any suggestions for a solution to my Powermaster brake problem? I could certainly use the help! I would specifically like to get comments, recommendations(Or, whatever?)to be focused upon fixing my existing Powermaster Brake system, as required? Please don't suggest changing out my Powermaster for an vacuum brake system(Which I don't wish to do at this time!)!

What I mainly want to know is if the motor itself(Or, the pump?)could be the cause for my brake pedal being easily pushed to the floor-or, if something inside the master cylinder is more likely(If so, then what?)? Or, whatever else anyone might suspect is the real cause for my brake problem? :confused: