Powermaster cycles with every pedal movement.

joey316g

Too many cars.
So Ive been driving this 87 that i picked up in April for the past 2 weeks. The brake light came on for a second yesterday under normal driving. This is the only time its done that. I drove it today and it was ok. Only thing is I notice that the pump runs for about a second everytime I push the brakes. I dont recall this happening before. It may have been but I never took notice. Its been years since I drove my 85 and cant remember if this is normal or not. All the fluid in the system has been replaced and done correctly. IIRC, it seems like my 85 didnt run a second everytime I hit the brakes. I dont think this one did when I first started driving it either but Im not 100% sure. Also if i pump the brakes 3 or 4 times quickly, the light will come on and then go out. If I remember right, I think thats normal though.

My question to all the people still using the powermaster, is anyone experincing the same thing?

Shouldn't run that often, if you have a buddy with a good accumulator I would try that 1st.

The pump should only cycle every 2-3 applications of the brake. It sounds like the accumulator is leaking pressure. Is your pressure switch gray?

The pump should only cycle every 2-3 applications of the brake. It sounds like the accumulator is leaking pressure. Is your pressure switch gray?

Yes, this appears to be a factory replacement unit...grey switch and the Ball has the hex nut built into the outside. I thought Accumulator too. Im thinking of pulling the ball off my 85 whcih hasnt operated in about 6 years but is on a GM Factory replacement unit with only about 5k miles on it just to see if something changes.

Accumulators hate to sit around idle. That kills them. Your 85 ball might work, but time is against you. It's worth a shot, I guess. :)

Holy moly....I've been out of these cars for too long...a new bal is $180?....thats crack price!..lol

That's why a lot of people chuck the PM system once the accumulator fails if they don't care about being stock. You can do vacuum for less than that or spend a little more for hydroboost.

I thought 85s had the hydroboost.

Regardless, when my accumulator went out the first sign was the motor cycling every push of the pedal

That's why a lot of people chuck the PM system once the accumulator fails if they don't care about being stock. You can do vacuum for less than that or spend a little more for hydroboost.

Yea I know...I kinda like the powermaster bein there though...im a weirdo...haha

I thought 85s had the hydroboost.

Regardless, when my accumulator went out the first sign was the motor cycling every push of the pedal

The 84 did...85 to 87 was the glorious powermaster...lol

Scored a brand new ball for $125...I shouldn't even be happy about that price but I am...lol

Brakes

I brakes were doing the same thing, until finally the brakes just went completely out and the brake light stayed on. I converted my brakes today to Brake Booster setup. Here are the listed of parts i used, all rebuilt parts from autozone.

1. 87 Chevy MC double dia. brake booster. 100.00
2. 80 El Camino SS brake resv. 25.00, this unit was the smaller plastic resv and it cleared the hood.
3. Junk Yard petal and vacuum hose 8.00
4. I ordered the vacuum tee 50.00

It took me about 3 or 4 times to the part store to get the brake resv. I just happen to see a guy getting a new battery in his 80 El Camino. I was like that is the one I need after looking at the el camino. I just couldn't cough up 500.00 bucks for a completely rebuilt powermaster assy.

Good Luck!!!

Lionel

87 Grand National T-Tops