Powermaster Brake Pressure Switch?

boosted231

Is there a test to check if my switch is bad? I am having an issue with hard brake pedal some of the time. Other times it seems to work. I would hate to spend the money on a new switch if that is not my problem, thats half the cost of a vacuum conversion. Thanks

Usually if the switch is bad it will either blow the fuse or leak fluid from the switch.

It has done both!!!, fixed the fuse and now only works sometimes, guess I need to find a switch.

Is there a test to check if my switch is bad? I am having an issue with hard brake pedal some of the time. Other times it seems to work. I would hate to spend the money on a new switch if that is not my problem, thats half the cost of a vacuum conversion. Thanks

want to test the switch-----remove it from the car-----with an ohmeter test for continuity between all three contacts------it should be very low ie less than one ohm-----if it passes that then do a functional test------take a small sharp pick and mount it in a vise pointing up-----the tip must be small enough to fit into the small hole at the tip of the switch------for safety don't let it protrude more than about 1/8 inch out of the vice-------place the ohmeter across the b and c terminals and place the switch over the pick so that the sharp point is inserted into the small hole------press the switch firmly down on the pick point and the connection between contacts b and c should open with about 25 pounds of pressure------movement of the switch diaphragm will be less than 1/16 of an inch-----if that passes next do it with the a and b terminals------these contacts should open at about 40 lbs------if you can't tell the actual force used you can cut a short piece off of a pick and mount it in a block of wood----then you can sit it on a bathroom scale and read the amount of force needed to open each of the internal switches-------note------this will only work with the grey switch-----do not try this with an original black switch................RC

want to test the switch-----remove it from the car-----with an ohmeter test for continuity between all three contacts------it should be very low ie less than one ohm-----if it passes that then do a functional test------take a small sharp pick and mount it in a vise pointing up-----the tip must be small enough to fit into the small hole at the tip of the switch------for safety don't let it protrude more than about 1/8 inch out of the vice-------place the ohmeter across the b and c terminals and place the switch over the pick so that the sharp point is inserted into the small hole------press the switch firmly down on the pick point and the connection between contacts b and c should open with about 25 pounds of pressure------movement of the switch diaphragm will be less than 1/16 of an inch-----if that passes next do it with the a and b terminals------these contacts should open at about 40 lbs------if you can't tell the actual force used you can cut a short piece off of a pick and mount it in a block of wood----then you can sit it on a bathroom scale and read the amount of force needed to open each of the internal switches-------note------this will only work with the grey switch-----do not try this with an original black switch................RC

Wow, thanks much appreciated