Powerlogger & Scan Master

Wld87GN

Okay guys, if you saw my original post in the general forum, I am completely new to this technology.

What is the difference between a Scan Master and a Powerlogger?

Do you need both? Can you use both? I hate to ask such a noob question, but the search function does not work. My apologies.

Thank you,

Do you need both? No. Do you want both? Depends on your ultimate goals.

They are, after all, two completely different tools. Scanmaster is a Scan Tool. IOW, it scans data coming from the computer and displays them on a small "two item" display. You can move through the data points one at a time to look for anything out of the ordinary, limited of course to the data points available on the ALDL connector, and the fairly slow rate of date there (One frame every 1.5 seconds).

The Powerlogger is a data logging device that hooks directly to the computer's address and data bus, and monitors many more points of data. The Powerlogger also requires a laptop to monitor its operation and display it's data. It monitors/logs data at a MUCH higher data rate (18 frames per second). Powerlogger will run on Windows XP, Vista, 7.

Here's a sample display of one two of the available screens on Powerlogger.

Front mount advantage 2.jpg

front mount advantage.jpg

I recorded this data one day trying to find out how much boost I could run with my front mount intercooler on 93 octane only (NO ALKY).

Now, with all that said, many of us run both the Powerlogger (for logging data), and the Scanmaster for full time monitoring when one doesn't want to bother with having a laptop running. When using both, the Scanmaster gets a new "brain" chip, and it hooks directly to Powerlogger for its data input (faster scanmaster results). Any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Dave,
That is good information. Does the powerlogger just capture data? What do you use to tune it? For example, if you wanted to adjust the Fuel/Air mixture ratio?

I ask this question because my car is basically stock with the addition of 30# injectors, FP and hot wire kit. I know that at some point I will get the bug to add a few upgrades, but want to make sure that I am tuning properly. I am figuring that I will get a new chip with the current config, as the chip is stock. I have been told it will make a difference and allow me to take some time to plan some upgrades for the future.

Thank you for the help!

With today's modern chips from Turbo Tweak, and Bailey Engineering. Some tuning can be accomplished within Powerlogger by adjusting the chip's "features". Notice on the data screen above, the lower two rows of the BLM table have single digit numbers instead of BLM numbers. With the latest Powerlogger software/firmware, and the right chip you can adjust those features.
With a Wideband O2 sensor, the fuel delivery can then be modified to achieve the correct air fuel ratio. But only with a wideband. Otherwise you'd be adjusting fueling to correct the Narrow Band O2 sensor readings (VERY inacurate and not very dependable)!!!

Notice in the above data screen in the left hand lower column my actual Air Fuel ratio is 11.23:1 (Ignore ECM AFR) while in the right hand column the narrow band is reporting 788 mv!!

I feel so stupid when it comes to this stuff... Is there a class I can take? LOL

I know it will come in time...

This stuff is very cool, I can't wait to get a power logger, scan master and a tt6.1

Thanks Joe

Do you need both? No. Do you want both? Depends on your ultimate goals.

They are, after all, two completely different tools. Scanmaster is a Scan Tool. IOW, it scans data coming from the computer and displays them on a small "two item" display. You can move through the data points one at a time to look for anything out of the ordinary, limited of course to the data points available on the ALDL connector, and the fairly slow rate of date there (One frame every 1.5 seconds).

The Powerlogger is a data logging device that hooks directly to the computer's address and data bus, and monitors many more points of data. The Powerlogger also requires a laptop to monitor its operation and display it's data. It monitors/logs data at a MUCH higher data rate (18 frames per second). Powerlogger will run on Windows XP, Vista, 7.

Here's a sample display of one two of the available screens on Powerlogger.

View attachment 183585

View attachment 183586

I recorded this data one day trying to find out how much boost I could run with my front mount intercooler on 93 octane only (NO ALKY).

Now, with all that said, many of us run both the Powerlogger (for logging data), and the Scanmaster for full time monitoring when one doesn't want to bother with having a laptop running. When using both, the Scanmaster gets a new "brain" chip, and it hooks directly to Powerlogger for its data input (faster scanmaster results). Any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

I have a question on the powerlog file you posted. Could you help me?
First off, I see your boost and tps, so I know you're to the floor. How are you still closed loop? How are you getting an air temperature? I was told that I shouldn't even have one plugged in. And how do you have two completely separate wide band AFRs? Which one is correct? And how do you know this without any doubt?

@Turbo6Smackdown
That was a pretty old post of mine, so I'm guessing that's when I was running the Translator Pro in speed density. So it's running Wideband closed loop, and the air temp display is because I run speed density. I have the temp sensor in the up pipe out in front of the throttle body. Gotta have it there or the plenum to run speed density (no maf). What I also did was tap the temp sensor wire and send it to analog 4 input to the powerlogger so I could log and observe what the air temp was entering the throttle body.

Are you referring also to the data field labeled ECM AFR?? Ignore that one, it's what the ecm is trying to command. The Translator Pro was in charge and controlling fueling via the real wideband, which as you can see is 11.2 something at the time
Clear as mud?

Last edited:
Actually yes. I understand that stuff. Though why two separate wide band AFRs? And why did you have to tap the temp sensor wire to log? It's already logging by itself with no tap.

Actually yes. I understand that stuff. Though why two separate wide band AFRs? And why did you have to tap the temp sensor wire to log? It's already logging by itself with no tap.

As I said there aren't two seperate wideband AFR's. There's ECM AFR (an ECM commanded (NOT MEASURED) value)) Ignore that one.
WB AFR is the measured true value. Yes, you have to feed the air temp sensor to the powerlogger to actually log it. Scanmaster displays it, but does not log it. Powerlogger logs it, IF you send the signal to the analog input block. Hence the ATS4 display.

I see. The one is commanded. Got it. And how does my powerlogger log narrow band 02s, when that's not plugged into the powerloggers input bar. Where's that signal coming from?

I see. The one is commanded. Got it. And how does my powerlogger log narrow band 02s, when that's not plugged into the powerloggers input bar. Where's that signal coming from?
The narrowband signal is coming from the end on the data buss.

Sent from my QMV7A tablet via Tapatalk.

But the air temp sensor doesn't? Why? I sware mine logs air temp without tapping in to it. I could be wrong though.

Yes, now it does. I noticed that on the data page of my current PLC, that Intake Air is displayed right under Coolant. But the picture I have displayed in this thread is an older version of PLC that didn't display/log intake air temp. Now I have redundant temp displays, although.... I have noticed that there's a 2 and a half degree difference between Intake Air and ATS4. Both should be reading the same temp?????? The only thing I can think of to account for the difference is that Intake Air is coming from the ECM on the data buss as a converted value, while the ATS4 temp is raw value from the sensor directly.

A possibilty. Or, would it be ground offset? (I don't know too much about all that shit yet. but will shortly)