Power Window Regulator Spring????

Yedi

ya, the Monte over there.
ok, I've been installing everything back in my doors ( they are different doors, and were gutted prior to paint)

Got everythng in, lining up the windows to weatherstrips, and noticed the windows (fall) they drop..I can put pressure on the lass and push them right down. I have new motors I bought a while back that are probably 7 years old..

I never noticed this before, I bought different regulators becuase mine seem seemed pretty worn.

I noticed neither one of the regulators I have, have any "clock springs" on them. The provisions are there for them, but no springs?????

I work on Fords every day and they have springs in them, I assume this would relate to my problem of the un-energized motor being able to hold a window up???

Opinions anyone??????????

ok, I've been installing everything back in my doors ( they are different doors, and were gutted prior to paint)

Got everythng in, lining up the windows to weatherstrips, and noticed the windows (fall) they drop..I can put pressure on the lass and push them right down. I have new motors I bought a while back that are probably 7 years old..

I never noticed this before, I bought different regulators becuase mine seem seemed pretty worn.

I noticed neither one of the regulators I have, have any "clock springs" on them. The provisions are there for them, but no springs?????

I work on Fords every day and they have springs in them, I assume this would relate to my problem of the un-energized motor being able to hold a window up???

Opinions anyone??????????

Newer units don't use those springs. What I'm saying is that while your 83 may have come with them, an 87 doesn't.

Newer units don't use those springs. What I'm saying is that while your 83 may have come with them, an 87 doesn't.

ok..I never had the springs in the car, I never had a problem w/ the wondows falling, now they are.

I thought maybe the springs would help? Unless there is some kind of adjust ment issue, or the motor is going bad, it's just not right......everything takes twice as long as you plan during this whole assembly process. just got done spending 4 hours installing the new clips and all the vinyle top trim...royal PIMA.

Well, I didn't know for sure if 83s used them, the 78 thru 80 did. However, if you never had them, there is no place to mount the spring on your regulator unless you get some out a model that does. I actually did that one time myself. Didn't make much difference. Maybe your motors are going out. NO4gn has brand new units for next to nothing. I'd buy a couple if I were you.

Well, I didn't know for sure if 83s used them, the 78 thru 80 did. However, if you never had them, there is no place to mount the spring on your regulator unless you get some out a model that does. I actually did that one time myself. Didn't make much difference. Maybe your motors are going out. NO4gn has brand new units for next to nothing. I'd buy a couple if I were you.

I just did some reading of the Window ratlle and windnoise elimation book, pretty helpful, it talked about the whole spring thing also.

Motors are Very fast, I bench tested them against some older ones, not even close, these were new GM units , I can't believe they are bad already?? could be though. I installed different regulators, that I thought were better than what I had ( everything get worn out over the years) I may switch back to what I had in there.

When I put the window all the way up, and then slam the door a few times the glass drops, 1/4- 1/2" not cool....there is Alot of play in the regulator though, maybe thats affecting this????

Yeah, I'd say switch back to the original regulators. Maybe that's the problem. You can always replace the motors if it comes to that. Just as a side note, if you want to spend a little more money, Summit handles a vendor who sells window regulators and motors for our cars ($250). I have them on my dark red T. My windows fly up and down. :eek:

Yeah, I'd say switch back to the original regulators. Maybe that's the problem. You can always replace the motors if it comes to that. Just as a side note, if you want to spend a little more money, Summit handles a vendor who sells window regulators and motors for our cars ($250). I have them on my dark red T. My windows fly up and down. :eek:

Nice! is the regulator a stock replacement type?? or a different style? How was the install, maybe this is the route I wanna go, really dont feel like taking these doors apart again......

Not sure if this is the number, but this is the supplier ...

Electric-Life GM93-7072-K - Electric-Life Power Window Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Actually, I bought the car not knowing it had this upgrade and I almost scared myself to death the first time I hit the window button. :D

Good find man, I'm gonna go that route..As far as the part number, they dont show a kit for our cars, just the one you listed for the 70's models, is this the one you have? Are those the same as our Regals? I assume you have the original switches? I would just wire the motor to the existing wiring, instead of re-doing it all..

Hey! Free shipping if you spend another nickel. :D

Attachments

• gm19-ka.jpg
    gm19-ka.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 142
so I got my new regulaors on Friday, I have the passenger door done so far..

WOW!!!

These are a quality piece, they make the factory unit look like crap.

They have a clock spring inside of them, oversized motors, and are built awesome, also bolt right in, no rivots to install, just studs welded to the regulator that stick through the door, add some nuts...done.

Anyone w/ a G-Body that is struggling w/ your windows, spend the $249.95 and install these, amazing product. My Old regulators were very loose on the pivot point, these are nice and tight.

Red Regal T wasn't kidding when he said they are fast, unreal how nice these are....

They also gave me free shipping, Their site says orders over $250 ship for free, someone must have been in a good mood that day...