Power Window Install

turbohye

Nuclear Reactor
Hey guys,
im going to attempt replacing my passenger side window motor this weekend. Anything i should know? Any pics would be wonderful and very good since im a visual learner. What tools will i need. i suspect i will have to somehow tape the window up so it doesnt fall when i pull the motor. Im a little nervous doing this so please help me out if you can. i greatly appreciate it.

Hi,
I understand your trepidation. Our cars have a lot of angst to them, hard to make it work sometimes! I'll bet it's all a gaff, in the end. What do you think?

Remove door panel...paper..etc...get a small 1" hole saw...might be able to use one smaller...just need to be able to fit a socket in the hole...roll window up all the way...take a small clamp and attach it at the "X" of the window mechanism...this will hold the window in place when you remove the motor...there are 3 bolts holding the motor to the mechanism but you can't see the heads of the bolts...they are behind the inside metal door panel...there are 2 small dimples...looks like someone used a punch...drill those out with the hole saw to get access to the 2 bolts...the third one is a dimple...actually looks like a raised area about the size of a nickel...drill that out for access to the third bolt...remove motor through large hole...replace motor...you can use the new motor as a guide to get an idea of where the bolts/dimples are located...wish I had taken pics...just did this a couple of months ago...if I had a pic of the inside door panel I could show you where to drill...

HI,
Good info. I wasn't aware that the Buicks had drill dimples, like the Fords do. I don't pull the door panels on my car often.Regardless, it is a BS design, but what can you do? Thanks for the information.

I got my replacement motor from AutoZone...not sure if the old motor was getting real bad but with this new motor the window goes up/down twice as fast as it used to...

One more thing...the motor comes with a new bracket but it isn't attached...the stock motor has the bracket attached via rivets...on the new bracket that I got the holes for the 3 bolts that hold the motor in place weren't tapped...I decided to just reuse the stock bracket so I drilled out the rivets and then riveted it to the new motor...here's a pic of a new motor and bracket...

Attachments

• window motor.jpg
    window motor.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 289
Hey there, I am also changing my passenger window motor.

The instructions are great above, my question is that the instructions that came with my motor (Kirban) says to drill the rivets on the door itself. What are those rivets attached to, and do I have to drill them out if I drill holes to use the socket for the motor bolts ?

Not sure what rivets Kirban is talking about but I suspect it's the ones holding the entire window mechanism to the door...do not drill those out...just follow my instructions and you will be OK...plus it will go much faster...the only other rivets I know about are what I mentioned...the rivets holding the OEM bracket to the motor...if someone could post a pic of the inside of the door I could show you where the dimples are...I knew I should have taken pics when I did mine...but I was in a hurry and didn't think of it...

Here ya go, good instructions by the way. :cool:

Just make sure on that 1" hole saw the arbor bit only sticks out 1/8" beyond the saw blade.

Bolts are close to the sheet metal on 2 out of the 3 holes.

I had so much fun I rebuilt the orginal motor, bad lower bearing causing my issues. So far so good. :cool:

Attachments

• resized door window access holes picture.JPG
    resized door window access holes picture.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 234