power washing the engine

atc

hello,

i have 136,000 on my gn and the engine could use a good cleanup. does anyone have sugestion of the proper way to wash the motor without damaging something? also has anyone ever clean the buick emblem under the hood. was wondering of how to clean it without tearing the fabric. thanks

I like to use Blue Coral's all purpose/all finish wheel cleaner as an engine degreaser. Reeve's "Blast off" pink stuff is what dealerships use on wheels and engines. Keep the engine running and don't hose down the air filter and breathers too much if they are exposed. Also, don't hose down the lower intake too too much as there is a hole/seal there for the PCV valve.

Other than that, I can see you hurting anything. I used to wash my engine down with every car wash when it was a daily driver. Last I had it, i didn't drive it enough to really get dirty.

best way is not using a pressure washer. make sure you cover all vitals like the coil pack and sensors.

Dont spray the powermaster motor or connectors. I know a guy that ruined 2 pm motors pressure washing them. Ive never left the engine running to clean it. I shut it off and wait 5 minutes for the manifolds to cool down then empty 1 or 2 cans of Gunk on it and then high pressure rinse. Dont get the inside of the alternator wet of hit the coil pack and module directly or water may leak in and cause a bunch of problems. Dont spray the weather pack connectors (TPS, IAC, etc.) directly either. As far as the rest goes hit it hard with high pressure hot water. You may need to repeat with another can when you see how much you may have missed.