Power steering pump options for hotair GN

3point8

Hi everyone,
I am converting my 85GN to vacuum brakes and would like to install a power steering pump with just the two fluid lines as opposed to my original with three.

The problem I ran into is that the pulley alignment on the pump I pulled of a N/A V6 Regal doesn't line up. I tried swapping pulleys using a puller but no luck. Anyone familiar with which cars have pumps that will bolt up and have the pulley line up correctly?
As a temporary measure I reinstalled the old one but its on its last legs.

Peter Cruickshank

The PS pump housings are all the same. An easy solution to your problem would be the use your original pump and swap the reservior from the NA on it. My books show HA and NA using the same pulley. Maybe you are not getting the pulley on far enough?

Eric Fisher

Power steering pump pulleys etc.

Thanks for your input Eric. Actually if you look at the two pulleys I can see a very noticeable difference. The n/a one is very sliight cone shaped and the one off my 85 GN is an exaggerated cone shape. So the centre line of the V is located about an inch further in (or out depending on which way you look at it).

Are you saying the guts of the pump come out the front of the resevoir so I could bolt up the "new" tank with two connections and toss the old one with the three fluid connections?
And ...... is there a pressure relief valve inside that I could adjust ?

Peter

I just used the same pump.It is a return~no pressure line.Put a vacuum plug over it with one of those factory style spring hose clamps and be done with it.

The entire pump assemblies are the same. You dont have to take the guts out. Its been awhile since I took one apart but all you need to do is remove 1 or 2 bolts and the pressure fitting(flow control valve) and swap the reserviors. The cap thing will work too. Eric