power plate

copteaser

I have 2 quick questions. I have a 87 GN

1) I heard of a power plate, suppose it is a device which is placed between the plenum and the intake to equalize the flow of fuel and prevent some detonation. Would I expect more horsepower from the power plate? and
2)nd question is should the plenum be changed from stock to perhaps(62 mm) along with a bigger Throttle body?
Thanks

I got mine from Cottons yes it work really good. No times yet , I was able to turn up my boost from 17#s , all the way up to 21#s on pump 93. going to try 22# tomarow.

The HP increases would be from less detonation. ie. you can turn the boost up.

SVTR1, at 21# of boost are you getting ANY knock? I just installed mine today and was averaging about 1.5 degrees, had one spike of four degrees. But I am only running 16#.

How much does this go for? Does it come with new hoses to raise the up Pipe?

Thanks

Originally posted by y26
How much does this go for? Does it come with new hoses to raise the up Pipe?

Thanks

It's only an 1/8" thick plate, slides right in without any other modifications necessary. I believe it was $59 + $5 shipping.

Ed

somebody please answer the second ?
i'd like to see the answer to this one also.

im using the stock t-bodies with no problems--
you dont have to upgrade to the 62mm- my limited was running mid 11's with the stock t-body
suppose it is a device which is placed between the plenum and the intake to equalize the flow of fuel and prevent some detonation
no -- your injectors are after the plate, so it only redirects air flow so all cyl will be close

http://www.loveridgemachine.com/RJC_Buick_Products/rjc_buick_products.html

put the plate on, and enjoy

I would like to hear from some other power plate users and find out what boost levels you guys are running at with the plate installed. Also what knock levels you are getting

Had my GN out yesterday, 120 mph, 22 lbs of boost, .780 02 reading and ZERO knock. I must confess that I am also using alcohol injection too though!

If you are running champion or ported heads with 55 or bigger injectors with a 63 or bigger turbo and big cam then I would say buy a precision plemun and power plate for that plenum for best results. Turbo TC:)

Copied this from an answer I gave to a thread just a couple of days ago. Here's my $.02 on the second part of the question:

I'll jump in here! Heck, I've even heard of people running 9's with a stock TB! But I'll bet they at least cleaned up the inherent flaws built into the factory TB and upper.

Yes, among other things I CNC bore the 57mm TB to 62mm (then taper it out to 65mm in back) but I consider the bellmouthing of the TB inlet and removal of the gross factory mismatch between the rear TB opening and the upper plenum inlet a very important part of my mods! Then, with the removal of the front half of the throttle shaft and everything gently radiused and blended in the upper plenum inlet, plus, of course, the greater flow afforded by the 5mm larger bore, there are nice gains in flow quantity AND quality to be had!

Necessary? Nah. A point I like to bring up: Did you really NEED that 2.5" or 3" exhaust system when a mandrel bent 2.25" probably would get the job done? But, you did it to flow the most you could with the combo you have, right? DITTO!

On paper, no, you don't need more flow area than the stock TB provides to go tens, but I'm the type of guy that believes in at least removing even the slightest steps or mismatches in my entire intake tract! Probably why I did my own cars' TBs when they were running 13's! I always port the inlets and outlets of turbos (stock or after market), IC inlets and outlets, bellmouth my MAF inlets, grind out the "lips" on either end of my up-pipes... you name it! It all just makes sense to me! Am I wrong?