Power Master Vs. Vacum Booster

This is what i want to know which is better booster brakes or power master which holds better which can help hold car on the line. basiclly which is better .

I want the pro and cons

I would also like to know which one will help me get boost up better on the line

thanxs randy

i agree, theres nothing wrong with either one, its just that the damn power master is so unreliable and is much cheaper to replace with a vacuum setup.:D

I believe you can hold more boost with the Power Master and rear drums at the line. That is why I upgraded the front brakes to the 13" Baer but left everything else the same.

IMO it's more important to have brakes you can rely on all the time, than how much boost you can hold at the track. ;)

other

The power master unit tends to have problems, it is not very reliable, so between the two I would definately say go with the vacuum. But your powermaster was put on that car for a reason, since the car has a turbo it creates little vacuum, so that is why you have an electric vacuum pump, because otherwise you wouldn't have any. So a vacuum booster is nice, but when you are sitting on the line with your brake and gas pedals on the floor, all of the vacuum is going to rush out, so the vacuum booster will not provide much power at all. You actually have another option , there is another unit called the hydroboost, which solves that problem. The hydroboost is a hydrailic unit that runs off the powersteering pump, so it requires no vacuum, so you don't have to worry about that electric pump, or worry about lack of vacuum. It is small in diameter, and will give you around 3 times the power that a vacuum booster can give you, and that is no lie. Hopefully that information is helpful. If you have anymore questions give Power Brake Service a call at (800) 504 - 1060 and we can give you a hand, and provide you with anything you need.

Re: other

Originally posted by Matt_S
The power master unit tends to have problems, it is not very reliable, so between the two I would definately say go with the vacuum. But your powermaster was put on that car for a reason, since the car has a turbo it creates little vacuum, so that is why you have an electric vacuum pump, because otherwise you wouldn't have any. So a vacuum booster is nice, but when you are sitting on the line with your brake and gas pedals on the floor, all of the vacuum is going to rush out, so the vacuum booster will not provide much power at all. You actually have another option , there is another unit called the hydroboost, which solves that problem. The hydroboost is a hydrailic unit that runs off the powersteering pump, so it requires no vacuum, so you don't have to worry about that electric pump, or worry about lack of vacuum. It is small in diameter, and will give you around 3 times the power that a vacuum booster can give you, and that is no lie. Hopefully that information is helpful. If you have anymore questions give Power Brake Service a call at (800) 504 - 1060 and we can give you a hand, and provide you with anything you need.

With due respect, here's why your argument doesn't hold water............Turbo Trans Am, same motor and turbo as TR, yet GM dumped the powermaster. Also, when you pull up to the line and stage, you rev up a little in neutral......mash your brakes. That locks in the vacuum. Put in drive, build boost and go................;)

Re: Re: other

Originally posted by Red Regal T
With due respect, here's why your argument doesn't hold water............Turbo Trans Am, same motor and turbo as TR, yet GM dumped the powermaster. Also, when you pull up to the line and stage, you rev up a little in neutral......mash your brakes. That locks in the vacuum. Put in drive, build boost and go................;)

Exactly - look @ all the FWD supercharged cars too.

correction

Actually that is not a safe method at all. If you rev the engine and mash your foot on the pedal that will only store a little bit of vacuum, and even then it is only good once, and that is on the line because you wont be able to do that in street driving, because the second you take your foot off the pedal and air goes theough the filter you have just lost that stored up vacuum, so yes my argument holds up very well.

Re: correction

the second you take your foot off the pedal and air goes theough the filter you have just lost that stored up vacuum, so yes my argument holds up very well.

That's why there is a check valve attached to the booster. ;)

I'm aware of hydro boost brakes from cars in the past. I've had no experience with them so can't offer any opinion. So tell us, what do you have to do to install it and how much is it to convert to your hydroboost set-up?

My friend has hydroboost brakes on his 85 GN. He hates them. He also hates the power steering fluid that occasionally runs down the inside of the firewall and soaks the carpet. I'll be going vaccum soon.

sorry to hear that

well there is no reason for it to do that. The only possible reason a hydroboost would do that is if it had a poor rebuild, or has not been checked since 85. same with the hoses, (rubber hoses tend to get crusty after while). The only reason a hydroboost would not do its job is if the owner doesn't do the maintenence that you need to do with any brake system. or any other part of a vehicle, or if after a decade or two you replace it with a rebuilt unit that was put together with gum and popsicle sticks, so if your friend does not like his, have him call us up and we can set him up with one, and we have them new, so unless he puts it on backwards there is no way to mess it up. we stand buy this unit 100%. it is the single most reliable part manufactured today, and if you argue with it than you don't know anyhthing about brakes, I stand by it that much

Re: Re: correction

Originally posted by Red Regal T

I'm aware of hydro boost brakes from cars in the past. I've had no experience with them so can't offer any opinion. So tell us, what do you have to do to install it and HOW MUCH is it to convert to your hydroboost set-up?

:confused: :D

Re: sorry to hear that

well there is no reason for it to do that. The only possible reason a hydroboost would do that is if it had a poor rebuild, or has not been checked since 85. same with the hoses, (rubber hoses tend to get crusty after while). The only reason a hydroboost would not do its job is if the owner doesn't do the maintenence that you need to do with any brake system. or any other part of a vehicle, or if after a decade or two you replace it with a rebuilt unit that was put together with gum and popsicle sticks, so if your friend does not like his, have him call us up and we can set him up with one, and we have them new, so unless he puts it on backwards there is no way to mess it up. we stand buy this unit 100%. it is the single most reliable part manufactured today, and if you argue with it than you don't know anyhthing about brakes, I stand by it that much

I hope hydroboost brakes are of higher quality than your customer service.:rolleyes:
Red Regal T, clean out your mailbox man, i need your adress so I can buy a vaccum brake conversion from you..:D