Power Master question

bdgjr120

Just noticed brake fluid under car. Have read articles on switching over to vacum brakes, question is looks like it is leaking from back of electric motor under master cylinder. Is there a seal there? Does not look like it is comming from line going into back of motor. Do they still make kits/motor or do i have to switch over. Thanks for any help.

Well you have a couple of options.

If you want to keep the PowerMaster setup you can hit up an Autozone and get a remanned unit. It will be about $370 and it is part number 52-9700. It will be the WHOLE unit.

If you don't care and you don't race the car, you can convert it to a vac setup pretty cheaply. Just be sure to get a vac brake pedal too.

If you don't want it and you do race, look into doing a hydroboost conversion. That is what I plan on doing over the winter.

In order of budget friendliness:
1. vacuum
2. hydroboost
3. remanufactured powermaster

I chose hydroboost for my car, but not for the advantage at the track. I just liked the pedal feel and performance when compared to the other options. Any of the three will work fine with #3 requiring the most care. If you care for the powermaster properly, it can last as long as the others. :)

Vacuum is an easy install that just requires a booster, master cylinder and a pedal from a vacuum brake equipped G-body (Monte SS, Regal, etc) Some people tee into the PCV line for a vacuum source, but you are better off getting the proper vacuum block with the extra port. Gbody parts a great kit that has everything you need.

Hydroboost is a touch more difficult since you have to run the pressure hoses to the pump and steering box, but you get to keep the PM pedal in the car. It offers great line pressure and a responsive brake pedal. There are pricey kits available, but most just source reman parts from here and there to put this together. If you watch Advance Auto's website, you can often get 30% off and free shipping. Mine was $250 going that route.

The Powermaster will drop right in, but you have to bleed the master cylinder and accumulator properly following a special procedure. All three will require a complete brake system bleed.