Power Logger disconnects when engine running

trashmechlv

Recently bought PL and installed along with the Scanmaster update. My problem is when I connect PL to laptop with ign key on and engine off it stays on, but when I start engine it will eventually disconnect. Will stay connected about 20-30 seconds then disconnect and wont let me connect again. I will get a serial error on screen. To connect again I need to turn off engine, turn ign on, shutdown PL on laptop, unplug usb cord and then plug cord back in and start PL again on laptop. Then start engine and disconnects. When it stops working on laptop my Scanmaster continues to show PL readings correctly when running. My computer has Windows XP Pro. Thanks in advance.

update to the latest drivers perhaps.

the computer doesn't really know that the engine is running, nor does the PL, its just sending whatever numbers it sees.

are you running from battery, or some adapter? some laptops have G sensors in the harddrives that cause them to park when
they sense movement. this might be related, what kind of laptops?

hit me up on email and I can work with you on this,

bob (at) bailey-eng (dot) com

My laptop is an H/P with Windows XP Pro. Its older but I just got it from a refurb place Laptop Exchange. Ive had it running on battery and with charger plugged in while parked in driveway. Has not stayed on long enough to start driving. I will hit you up by email tomorrow when I get a chance. Im in Pacific time zone. Thanks!

Today I tried to use a different usb cord I had laying around with my car laptop and it disconnected again. I then loaded the PL into my home laptop with Windows 7. It did the same thing with different laptop and disconnected after a short time and showed serial error again. Bob I also shot you an email about this.

Latest drivers didnt make a difference in either of my laptops that I have been trying. I have been running laptops on battery without any charger. Just throwing stuff out there, maybe spark plug wires causing interference? I dont have an extra set to try. My wires are the ones that were on car when I bought it, Accel 8.8 300+ Ferro Spiral Race Wires. I checked car grounds and looked over wiring harness under hood for any bare spots. Is it possible to link my post with the other Power Logger problem post on here? Thanks again for any help.

Bob B figured out what the issue seemed to be with the laptop disconnect when engine runs. He instructed me to ground the usb port on the PL board and it works now. He posted 2 videos on youtube on how to repair. I drove the car today and was able to log a run. Maybe he can put a link to the repair videos on here. Thank you for working on the problem TurboBob!