Power locks not working?

dustintinsley

Ok, I recently bought a '87 GN. I am pretty sure the power locks worked when I got it but no longer work. I replaced the circuit breaker in the fuse panel, no luck. Is there a fuse I should check/replace? What else should I look for?

Check for power at switch. I have found a bad connection behind the kick panel on the plug that feeds the door locks.

Yes, dome light and radio work. I have power at the switches. I was out playing around with it just now and checking fuses again and I can get random unlock if I push the button a few times it works every couple times. Never works if I repeatedly press unlock though. Does this now sound more like a switch issue?

Last edited:
Ordered new switches (I already planned to do this anyway because mine do not look very good). How would I test for ground issue or actuator problem?

Sounds like a switch problem. If you put the switchs in and it still don't work try pulling the kick panels and unplug the plug going to each door and clean the terminals.

What are the odds both actuators would fail at the same time? On the other hand, what are the odds that both switches would also fail? I am not convinced it will be either of these.... Seems odd....

The door locks work great in my 8 sec car, most of the cars i work on, and my cadillac, they are hit and miss. Probably an actuator problem.

Ok, so I pulled the switches and tested them with multimeter and they are for sure part of if not the entire problem. Will wait on the new ones to arrive and test then

Had the same issue. I was able to somehow take them apart and clean the contacts to get them to work. I finally replaced both of them anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The location of the door lock switches is an issue. Dirt and debris falls into them along with water if the door is opened while raining. As smiling bob posted I too have opened them up, cleaned them, then greased them.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Ah, good idea about greasing them. I didn't even try to clean mine just because the appearance of the switches is less than desirable so I opted to replace them.

Yea, ultimately that is what I decided on and have not have an issue since. I did keep the "refurbished" switches I case I need on in a hurry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk