Power Antenna wiring question

turbocarlab

One at a time
I didn't spend too much time on this problem yet and was hoping someone would know the answer to it. I just replaced my power antenna with a new GM unit because the mast was broken and I happened to have a new one laying around. The old unit's motor never made any noise and it had always been plugged in so I thought the motor was toasted as well. After installing the new one it still doesn't do anything. It works fine connected directly to the batt following the wiring diagram. The limit switches work as they should too. When connected to the cars pwr ant harness all three wires have power going through them because both the white AND the green are energized. With the ant unplugged and the ignition off only the white wire is powered as it should be. With the ignition on both the white and the green wires have power going through them both at the plug and at the relay. The power antenna wire to the relay has power when the radio is on and the constant power wire to the relay tests fine as well. I looked all under the dash and cannot figure out where the white wire is getting its power from with the ignition on...I don't really understand the schematics too well but has anybody ever encountered such a situation and is there any other relay in the system?

no theres no other relay
white gets power from the courtesy lamp -clock fuse circuit (20 amp fuse in fuse box )and should be hot key off

key off relay is not energized and in that state green is ground , white is power (gray has no connection to anything) and antenna motor will run in direction for retracting until it hits the antennas internal limiter to cutoff the power to white inside the antenna

key on and power to the relay coil through the pink from radio energizes the relay and it flips ...green becomes power and gray becomes ground (white now has no connection to anything) to drive antenna up until it hits the internal limiter at which time the grey will be interupted and antenna will stop

heres the schemats the dotted line through the relay indicated it flips two switches (sets of contacts ) when coil is powered by radio being turned on
if white is always hot check power to relay coil on pink wire (with radio on) and ground to relay coil ( black wire with ring terminal screwed to dash metal ) , if white still has power with radio on replace relay

Did you ever get your problem resolved? If so what ended up being the problem. I'm getting the exact same problem and have checked everything.

The relay contacts get pitted and don't make contact anymore. You can take off the relay cover and clean the contacts with 400-600 grit sandpaper.
Cut it into 1/4' wide strips and feed it through the contacts, press down on the contacts and pull the paper through several times.
A way to prevent this from happening is to keep the radio off until the car is running and turn the radio off before shutting the engine down.
I disconnected mine because I only listen to tapes and not the radio anyway so as to save my antenna in working condition for the next owner.