Power antenna.....am I screwed?

TRBON8R

While in for a repaint my body shop installed a new Delco power antenna for me. The owner of the shop called and said they were having problems with the new antenna. I went down to the shop only to find that the antenna motor is constantly running, and I can move the mast up and down by hand. :mad: :mad: WTF??? I fear the mast is broken, but how is that possible on a BRAND NEW antenna? Could the body shop have goofed up and broken it during the install? The antenna was a part that I provided to the body shop that I bought here off of a member of TB.com. The antenna appeared to be new in the box. I guess that's another $175 all shot to hell. :(

Hey bud,

Sorry to hear that.. I got sick of the power antenna.. So I changed it to a fixed non power.. I had to remove the fender one last time.. Just a suggestion.. If interested get with Bweavy on the board or gbodyparts.com or musclecarsalvage.com.. You will never have to worry about it again..

Sorry to hear that.

I doubt the body shop caused it to break since it's all enclosed. Perhaps it's just been sitting for 16 or 17 years and the plastic thingy broke.

I bought another plastic thingy at BG for $20 to fix mine so these fix pieces are available although someone else will have to tell you where you can get one now.

GM#22038195 fo the weedeater string plastic thingy that breaks. I'm sure it's still available, as I ordered a pair about 6 months ago.

Mine did the same thing a while back. I got a whole assy from the yard for $12, put in a new GM plastic thing, and did a quick swap. No problems so far.

Mine recently started doing the same thing, where it would run continuously without movement from the antenna. I simply unplugged the power going to the motor, so now the antenna is always up.

Quick tip for power antenna cars. Make sure your radio is off before turning your car on and off. This is when the unit breaks most of the times.

Ok, the latest is that I went by the dealer and they quoted me $120 just for the mast (not including the motor)!! :eek: :eek: This can't be right.

I forgot to bring the part number with me to the dealer that Turbo T/A 1543 mentioned above. Does the #22038195 part number include everything I need to fix the antenna? Is the plastic string easy to install once the antenna is removed? Thanks. :)

PN#22038195 is a 12-14" mast with about 24" of nylon cable crimped to it. At the end of the nylon cable is a "J" shaped hook which hooks into a gear in the antenna motor. The instructions (for once the antenna is out) were included in the package. With the exception of 4 rivets to hold the plastic housing to the motor, this is all you'll need. Checked my local dealer this A.M., GM list price is 22.20 for this part. HTH

Originally posted by Turbo T/A 1543
PN#22038195 is a 12-14" mast with about 24" of nylon cable crimped to it. At the end of the nylon cable is a "J" shaped hook which hooks into a gear in the antenna motor. The instructions (for once the antenna is out) were included in the package. With the exception of 4 rivets to hold the plastic housing to the motor, this is all you'll need. Checked my local dealer this A.M., GM list price is 22.20 for this part. HTH

Thanks a lot brother! That clears it up. I think you helped save me some money. Thanks again!