Power Adder Function XFI

455 Buick Regal

Do you guys use this function for any WOT purposes in (single pump, no alcohol injection)? I am trying to figure out if someone just copied a prior calibration file over to my buddy's car as a baseline tune from a known good tune of a similar combo, but just forgot to uncheck the Power Adder.

Are you tuning on the car, and having "issues"? Or, did you just see this in the tune you are looking at?
Maybe, post the tune??

Are you tuning on the car, and having "issues"? Or, did you just see this in the tune you are looking at?
Maybe, post the tune??

Both Chuck. Do I need to zip the file to attach it? I will attach 2 files, one from the original tune, and one from a later tune which someone started mucking with the original. At this time we are just trying to get the car street drive able (not worried about WOT yet).

Both of those tunes are out of whack. They were done while the car had mechanical issues and I believe the tunes were "crutched" unknowingly in order to get it to run right...but it still ran like crap.

A zip would probably be the easiest.
One of the "gooroos" is likely to have answers for correcting the issues...:smuggrin:

Here you go. I think these are the right files.

(You'll see some screwy things in my opinion, but I'm new to EFI, so not sure. But for sure, both tunes ran like crap. I believe both cal files are inadequate and should be thrown out the window, because while tuning on both, the fuel system the entire time was plugged (due to running E85 in non-compatible lines). Now that the fuel system has been revamped and injectors cleaned we need to start from scratch. But for now, the question is whether/why the Power Adder should be checked...maybe being used kinda like PE mode in a stock ECM??)

Attachments

• 6 24 2010.zip
    1.1 KB · Views: 77
  • 7-20-14.zip
    1 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
I have not looked at your files but the PA feature has a lot of benefits for the user that has t-brake control, boost control, and traction control through the XFI. When in PA mode, the boost is on a time based table. Creep feature on PA hold, and two and three step features can be set up in dummy stages. Some of the traction control is also time based and uses the PA timer.
AG

THe only reason I could for you to use the power adder function in your application would be to alter the open loop a/f ratio while alky is spraying, so you could have one tune for pump gas no alky and when the alky came on the target af ratio could be set richer. Question are you plannning to use e85 or back to pump gas/alky?

Norbs, I think the question is if there is any reason to use the PA function w/o alcohol injection and the answer is yes from my response above.

Sraight E85 full time.
There is nothing on the car that would require PA. Just another one of many indicators that I should not place a whole lot of confidence in the prior calibration files.
Thanks guys.

Last edited:
Sraight E85 full time.
There is nothing on the car that would require PA. Just another one of many indicators that I should not place a whole lot of confidence in the prior cal files.
Thanks guys.
Just keep in mind that the PA function includes the PA timer regardless if your using this for supplemental fuel. So if your using the XFI to control boost or traction control than this is something you need to look into.
AG.

I agree with your comments on the PA function Allan, but I was thinking more for just the average occasional racer, all those advanced features are optional. Since its all time based it would not be the best in a street environment as you probably would be on and off the pedal too fast/often to get good results.

To subtract even more confidence from the prior mechanic's tune: We found that the original installer left the IAT sensor in its original spot as a MAT sensor. One of the things on the to-do list is to weld a bung to the up-pipe and relocate it.

Power Adder will be left unchecked now in order to reduce the number of variables we're chasing.

Thanks again for the education fellers...

The car should run very good for e85, I may have a tune that you can try, where can i send it? You should upgrade your software/firmware to the newest version also.

Last edited: