powdercoat or por15?

thadeal4real

i hope this is the right area to post:confused: but i was looking to see what would be the best thing to do to/for a frame? por15 it or have it powdercoated for a frame off resto no show car but a driver?thanx

This should be in the restoration section but you'll be happier with blasting the frame, using POR15, and then painting it. POR15 kills the rust and the paint keeps the POR15 from deteriorating.

thanx

thats kinda what i was thinkn:confused: but it said show cars and im just goin to think that a dual stage job like primer n paint would be better than the powder coat job for a frame cause ive seen powder coat chips:mad: arent pretty but both are goin to take the same work ie clean blast prep paint was just lookn for some one who has done either? but cracking and chipping is not an option i guess i could do the wax coat? lol

I gotta disagree with ya on this one Charlie....I powdercoated mine and couldn't be happier. It takes a helluvalot to chip powdercoating...so long as it is a good quality job. One of the benifits of powdercoat is the resistance to engine fluids...i.e. oil/antifreeze/tranny fluid/PS fluid....and especially brake fluid. Brake fluid will take POR15 and paint off in seconds. I am as careful as they come when working on the GN, but i always seemed to slop something (including brake fluid) on the frame. PC lets you wipe it off with no ill effects. JMO. ---Keith

They both have there places. Yea I'm biased.....:biggrin:
If I have a frame off no question powder. Blast/pretreat/zinc primer/topcoat.

If money is no object. Pickle/pretreat/e-coat/top coat with powder. $$$$

But that is Jay Leno money.

eastwood chassis black

i'm painting a chevelle frame right now i'm useing the extreme chassis black and primer. so far i've just put the primer on and i looks real good. i'm going to spay the other on this weekend, its a 60 to 70% gloss.. if you do go with this you will need 2 quarts to do a good job... if you want to see some pics i will post some up this weekend for you...Extreme Chassis Black Satin Finish Set

Not gonna argue with you Keith or Ronnie, but for those of us on a budget it's not much of a choice. DFW is a little more expensive for this stuff and not knowing the guys doing the work (wish you were down here Ronnie) the POR15 is the best choice. I have found a company down here that can hot dip galvanize it but I haven't gotten a price on it yet. Hopefull not to much and then it's POR time for me.

No argument, Just conversation, Like I said it all has its place. And some times it is worth spending $ once. Depending on what you are going to do with the car. is 100 hrs. with a grinder better than $50 $100 at the blasters?
Depends on what your time is worth and the current $ situation. I understand
I have been a poor boy my whole life.

but i was looking to see what would be the best thing to do to/for a frame?

This was the ?

Powdercoat all the way had mines done and man:eek: looks wonderful cost me 600.00 frame, driveshaft, a-arms, core support,all brackets etc. I could never paint a frame after this.

I used The MasterSeries Coating Line By PM Industries: Headquarters of MasterSeries Rust Preventive Paints and Coatings For Less - Get Rid Of the Pits! on my open car trailer. I used their gloss black but they have a coating for chassis. Just posting this as alternative to powdercoating.

I used POR-15 in the past and the Masterseries stuff doesn't even compare to it. POR-15 is junk.

P7150014.jpg

P7180024.jpg

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

If you are on a tight budget use por15. BUT if I HAD the money and was doing it all over I would powdercoat. But I would also have bought SS lines, aftermarket brakes, stage II motor, etc:rolleyes: