powder coat oven? why not home oven?

GoldHawg

I've seen numerous suggestions that you need a "shop" oven that is not used for food for powdercoating. Yet I'm not sure why; on an episode of musclecar TV they baked some cookies in their giant powder coating oven and ate them. Further, they said that the powder does not emit any effluents. I understand that it might smell in the house. But you could open the window. Further, I suspect some of the powder could get on the racks and dry there, making the wife mad. But couldn't you just get another rack to use for powdercoating? So anybody know why its unsafe to powdercoat in the home oven? And if it is safe, why not powdercoat in home oven (if wife will allow)? thx

If you want to do this. Buy one at a rummage sale or something put it in the Garage and use it. It will work fine.

But don't use the one you cook food in.:(

Some powders or all powder just some more than others do give off some harmfull gasses when cured. E-cap. ect...... Just would not want my family eating it....:biggrin:

And if you want to go into the business I will sell you a turnkey shop.

I cured a part coated with Hi-Temp paint in the oven a month or so ago. Smoke in the Kitchen was so bad I had to open all the windows in the house b4 the fire alarm went off. Fumes were bad as well.

They have several of those big industrial ovens at the plant were I work. Something tells me they heat differently than Kitchen ovens and they vent to the outside of the building.

Greg

I've powder coated a bunch of stuff in a cheap kitchen oven thats kept outside at a friends house, Also a friend at work does awesome powdercoats on bike/quad frames and uses heat lamps......

As long as the metal temp gets to 400deg for 10 to 12 min most powders will cure. Ask for low cure powder and you can get by with 350-375 for about 8 mins. Cure check with MEK and a Q-tip

The home overs will get plenty hot but you really don't want to breathe the fumes or get powder residue in any food. Any time you make fumes that you smell you are coating the oven inside with the fumes, and each time you heat the oven after that some of that stuff will come back off into the air and onto whatever is in the oven, so no food (just open the oven the next time it is hot and I guarantee you will smell the fumes). Yeah, you could do a max temp bakeout or self clean cycle to try to burn it all out but why take any chances, used ovens are cheap.

I know used ovens are cheap; you can often find for free after kitchen remodels on craigslist. I just really don't have a place to put it. That's why I was trying to figure out if I could use a house oven.

Now if I could get a smaller oven (not full range w/cooktops), I might be able to fit it in the garage. I'll keep looking.

The fumes and smoke it gives off is why people, don't recommend it.
You can find a spare oven fairly cheep and do the parts yourself.

Not sure about the fumes and smoke; my oven at work has a hooded vent and a window. As I mentioned, getting a regular oven is not an option because of space, not price--I can get one free almost any time, but have no place to put it. My only concern is does it give off stuff that would damage or mess up the oven at work that I could use any weekend and not disturb anyone.

Chemical reactions in various types of coatings all have a common by-product, sulfur dioxide. Smells funky, smokes like crazy sometimes (according to color of coating and sulfur content) and you wouldn't want to get a healthy dose. If you only cooked one or two small parts, no problem, just keep the room vented. But a bunch at one time and you could take dirt nap. Never mind what digsting that stuff will do to your stomach, intestines and colon. I guess the question is, Would you eat the powder coating? If so, go ahead and cook a very large amount...... help clense the gene pool..... just jokin.

Some of the urethane TGIC even come in a less smoking variety....:biggrin: All of these gasses and Odor's will stick to the oven walls. Enough of it and it will even foul it.
Some of it can be removed w/ ammonia. If a remember correctly.

Trust us on this one. Can it be done , yes.
Should it be done ,hell no.

If ya do it anyway please post as to were so we will know where not to eat at...........:biggrin:

[ Would you eat the powder coating? If so, go ahead and cook a very large amount...... help clense the gene pool..... just jokin.[/QUOTE]

your just wrong:biggrin:

I am all the environment and being 'green' so I like to powdercoat my parts while I bake dinner. My metallic dark garnet red potatoes have gotten great reviews. My RAL 9001 white aluminum roasts need some work.