Potential New GN

Wouldn't it be called the "Buick Nationwide" since that is what the NASCAR series is called now?

Kevin Shaw's and/or his editor must be a product of the public education system's no child left behind act:

"Could Buick Made a New Regal Grand National?"

I don't like it either, it's almost as bad as bringing back the GTO which looked like a Cavalier. This "Regal" looks like a Pontiac Sunfire with a ridiculous grill. They need to go retro, but tastefully like MOPAR did with the Challenger.

Let the GN remain the legendary car it is. Don't taint the name by bringing it back and putting it on a new car. Name it something else.:smile:

opinions are like ....you...:rolleyes: I think it's gorgeous.... and waaay torquey/fast.... with feedback like NO other car... dragstrips are for non-drivers (like cops)....:rolleyes:
Lol..... doesnt change the the fact that it is UGLY! And apparently most others here think it's UGLY to. Feedback like no other car? Get off the crack pipe would ya?

Guys looks are subjective or most of us would be single...
Let's not personally attack each other over opinions.

I like the Opel Designed Insignia / Regal, especially the OPC version.
If they truly make make a coupe version, I will have to check it out.

A lot of the arguments here are the same that the GS people had
about the GN...

This car may or may not use the Grand National nameplate, however
if Buick makes a quick turbo charged coupe again, who thinks that is a bad idea?

Like I said before Buick is going upscale and will not go retro with this.
Someone that is considering an Audi, BMW or Lexus is not interested in a retro looking car.

Ain't no AWD's even remotely like a 3 Series.... just got done ragging my buddies brandy new 2011 335i coupe, 3-pedal version, up the mountain, and as the saying goes.... the ultimate driving machine... :biggrin:

I guess to each his own, i do not want to make it sound like i am a car snob or anything, i do not have the funds for real top dollar cars. I obviously own my pride and joy GN, but my daily driver is a very pedestrian 2010 5 spd civic, but why do people just all fawn over a BMW 3 series?

I honestly believe some of it is because they are "supposed" to. I am not super impressed with them, and am fairly familiar with many BMWs. Unless the 3 series you are talking about is different than the brand new 3 series convertible (had a hard top that folded up) my cousin owns, and my wife and i drove around on our vacation???

I do not mean to be rude, it is a nice car, and maybe because i am more of a muscle car guy, but ultimate driving machine???? I mean I know their ad people want you to say that, but compared to what?? Compared to a taurus, yes it is, but there are TONS of other cars out there.

Ever drive a good running porsche 928s4? Current generation corvette? Air cooled 911, or better yet 911 turbo? For current cars with that ~60K price tag, how about a cadillac cts-v?? I would bet a paycheck that if we took a random 20 posters from this site to a location to drive the 3 series, and the cts-v back to back, you would not hear people going on, and on about the bmw, that's for sure.

Ok, off my soap box, just my opinion, but i see BMWs more as a "look at me car", although i have always loved the 7 series, despite a friend of mine owning one, going through tons of transmission repairs, get no assistance on it, and pledging to never own one of those pos's again.

I think it could happen but it would need to be done when they update and redesign the car cause that one wont cut the mustard....

TR Custom Parts is right, and I'm sure GM agrees, the GN nameplate won't be coming back.

Buick's focus, as most things, has shifted considerably in the past 30 years... They are obviously not targeting the same demographic they were in the 80's, so it makes sense that the styling is radically different and perhaps disagreeable to those of us who love our GN's. GM makes money by selling new cars, and rarely if ever looking back.

It always seems to me that half of turbobuick.com is looking for GM to make a retro GN..... then half the board would complain that it doesn't look enough like our 80's bricks and the other half would say it looks too much like them :rolleyes: Maybe if GM hired the new Dodge Challenger's designer... :cool:

With respect to the current coupe concept, I think it is a step forward for Buick but still somewhat generic. It almost always seems like GM's styling and industrial design is disjointed and even a little awkward compared to Dodge, VW, Audi etc. It probably doesn't matter though because anything with a tri-shield will sell in China.

Pete

I guess to each his own,

Ever drive a good running porsche 928s4? Current generation corvette? Air cooled 911, or better yet 911 turbo? For current cars with that ~60K price tag, how about a cadillac cts-v??

I would bet a paycheck that if we took a random 20 posters from this site to a location to drive the 3 series, and the cts-v back to back, you would not hear people going on, and on about the bmw, that's for sure.

Ok, off my soap box, just my opinion, but i see BMWs more as a "look at me car", .

Yup... to each his/her own....

Yup... I've driven a Porsche 928, though not an S4... very nice touring GT... much like a Lexus SC400/430... less sport, more luxury... nice though, but a kinda porky...

Yup... I've driven 911's.... not air-cooled... both 997 series.. turbo awd and non-turbo Carrera 2... LOVE THEM... my favorite car... ever... I'll take mine in the rwd Turbo GT2 flavor... thank you... and make it black... :biggrin:

Yup... driven ALL generations of vette's.... my mom had a '62 and I used to sit on her lap and steer and shift... :) She traded it for a '67 327 and later a '72 350... all 4-speeds... .I had a '90 6-speed, and several friends of mine have/have had C5's and C6's.... love them too... I'm tempted all the time...

Caddy CTS-V?? Yup.... that was the competition for the Bimmer... my bud wanted a coupe, and you can't get a V-coupe yet... we did drive a 6-speed sedan... awesome/wicked fast/and capable... But not as nimble as a bimmer, and just not nearly as 'feely'...

Both my friend and I are road race wannabe's.... with very similar taste in cars... Barring the 911, there just aren't any cars out there that match the steering feel/feedback, damping, driver communication that the BMW offers... Munich has perfected the 'feel'... and has for a long time.... you could feel the limits of the BMW with a blindfold on... you can feel what each tire is doing.... drive one at the limit, and you'll know what I'm talking about...

I've also driven a V8-M3 stick, V10-M5 smg, AND V10-M6 stick.... all offer the same feel/feedback, with BRUTAL power/performance... when you smack the paddles of the smg at full boogie, you will swear you just left the tranny laying on the pavement in pieces... It made me cringe... but they never break... However, the stick is SO much more pure... again... driver involvement...

All that said... I agree that there are quite a few choices out there... again...to each his own.... if/when I can afford one of those choices.... 911/Vette/BMW/CTS-V.... it's gonna be a HARD one....:) I'll trade my Buick for any of the 4.... any takers??? :tongue:

Caddy CTS-V?? Yup.... that was the competition for the Bimmer... my bud wanted a coupe, and you can't get a V-coupe yet... we did drive a 6-speed sedan... awesome/wicked fast/and capable... But not as nimble as a bimmer, and just not nearly as 'feely'

BS! Cadillac dealer in Naperville, IL has 4 CTS-V coupes on the ground....sticker is around $69K for the decked out one with Recaro's and optional wheels/paint.

I think it's a great looking car. I DON'T think it's a great looking GN. I agree with Mark and let the legend live on as it is. If they ever were to bring it back, then I'm with Gordy, you gotta at least do some retro styling to resemble a GN. Nothing about this car's exterior says "Grand National". Great idea Gordy....ok did I butter you up enough to help me with my dash wiring tomorrow? :biggrin:

A friend of mine that gets to test drive cars for a car magazine test drove the power plant a twin turbo v6 in a camaro and he said it was very fast. So the Gn is coming back.

A friend of mine that gets to test drive cars for a car magazine test drove the power plant a twin turbo v6 in a camaro and he said it was very fast. So the Gn is coming back.

I'm confused....so because a friend of yours drove a twin turbo V6 Camaro, Buick is going to bring the GN back? :confused:

BTW I don't think they can or will use the GN name.
However if they make a 2 door Turbo Regal Coupe, then I will be happy.
It will have to be AWD though. That chassis is set up for FWD or AWD
only as per my understanding.

The GM guys were testing the power plant in a camaro, at Mid Ohio with the new z28 he got to test drive them and was told it would be in a new buick
The Grand National name is owned by Nascar.