Possibly blowing through converter

Marc87GN

Before all of the mods I have now, I bought this Raptor(9X12) 3000 stall converter off of Ebay. Looking at the Turbolink logs I have, it appears that the rpms are not dropping enough between shifts. There is some time lag in Turbolink so I'm not 100% certain. It seems that at 5500 rpom upshifts, the rpms are only dropping 250 rpms. It's hard to tell since it does spin the tires. I can also tell because at full throttle, I'm in the O/D gear by 85-88 mph which seems really low. Even in O/D and with the T/C locked, it's still pulling hard to the tune of about 10-12 mph per frame, but I see 4th lit up on Turbolink really early like I mentioned. Since with no slippage, we should be able to go to approx. 120 mph in 3rd at around 5300-5500 rpms, I think going into OD at that speed is too low . Otherwise, the boost comes right up and the car pulls like crazy while unlocked, but I just feel it's not efficient enough on upshifts and will flash and hit the rev limiter on a hard downshift. The car barely moves at part throttle until about 2000+ rpms and begins to hustle around 3K rpms which is where the stall is suppose to be.

In my turbocharged 99 GT, I ran a Protorque converter(went 10s on that one), Precision Industries single disc & a multi-disc. I have read that the multi-disc is noisy in the GNs for some reason although I never heard it in the GT. I would like a 3400 stall converter, that I won't notice around town that is efficient enough unlocked to get good rpm drops with my setup so I can get over 100 mph in 3rd gear. This way I can lock it up at 105 mph, but it's still very efficient unlocked. Sorry for the long post. Any thoughts, opinions, etc will be appreciated.

Marc these trannys like to shift into OD really early no matter what converter is in them. You have to keep it in drive to push 120 in 3rd. About the rpm drop, its hard to tell again with Tlink...Do you have the fast update ? or is it 1 update a second or what ever it usually is? I would bring the car up to 115-120 or so in drive, check out what rpm its pushing in 3rd gear and plug all the info in to this slippage calculator on tciauto.com. Good luck man http://www.tciauto.com/tech_info/calculators.htm

Hello Marc87GN,

The fact that the car barely moves until about 2000rpm may be cause for concern.

I am not sure what a Raptor 9x12 is, but even at 3000stall there should be little effect on part-throttle driveability and the car should behave close to having a D5.

Also I think typically you should see about a 750-1000 rpm drops between shifts with a proper functioning converter.

I use T-link as well and see baout 800rpm drops on shifts with my 10" 3000 stall conv.

How is the overall condition of the trans? Is the pump OK ? Fluid Clean etc?

Is this converter brand new or used ? If new, then perhaps there is a problem with it. (?)

I see that you are in L.I, if you can maybe give CK Performance a call or a visit if you are nearby.

Real-T said:
Hello Marc87GN,

The fact that the car barely moves until about 2000rpm may be cause for concern.

I am not sure what a Raptor 9x12 is, but even at 3000stall there should be little effect on part-throttle driveability and the car should behave close to having a D5.

Also I think typically you should see about a 750-1000 rpm drops between shifts with a proper functioning converter.

I use T-link as well and see baout 800rpm drops on shifts with my 10" 3000 stall conv.

How is the overall condition of the trans? Is the pump OK ? Fluid Clean etc?

Is this converter brand new or used ? If new, then perhaps there is a problem with it. (?)

I see that you are in L.I, if you can maybe give CK Performance a call or a visit if you are nearby.

It's a converter that I wanted to try, but I'm not really pleased with it. The transmission seems to run fine with strong shifts, clean fluid, but the converter appears to slip too much. I'm sure it's also heating up the fluid quite well so I would like to address this before the warm weather arrives. I think I will move up to a 10" or 10.5" converter. I would imagine if the person bought the converter for a stock setup that the stall would be completely different on my car. I remember just going from 2.5" exhaust to a 3" Exhaust on my turbocharged 99 GT and the stall completely changed and I had to send it out to be re-stalled.

I will get in contact with Chris at CKPerf because while I have the transmission removed, I might rebuild it using his manual. I hope Chris will chime in with his thoughts. I could always swing by his location and pick up a converter or go to ProTorque, which is 15 minutes from my house.

JDSfastGN said:
Marc these trannys like to shift into OD really early no matter what converter is in them. You have to keep it in drive to push 120 in 3rd. About the rpm drop, its hard to tell again with Tlink...Do you have the fast update ? or is it 1 update a second or what ever it usually is? I would bring the car up to 115-120 or so in drive, check out what rpm its pushing in 3rd gear and plug all the info in to this slippage calculator on tciauto.com. Good luck man http://www.tciauto.com/tech_info/calculators.htm

I appreciate the info. I will try that tonight since the weather doesn't seem too bad and see what rpms we get. I'm sure it won't be too bad since the converter locks at about 80 mph. I will shut it off and see what it is for testing purposes.

definately sounds like you are driving thru the converter.if i can help feel free to call.

chris718 said:
definately sounds like you are driving thru the converter.if i can help feel free to call.

Thanks Chris. I will call you today and if I can't get you, I will try on monday.