Possible Headgasket issue?

trixdout

I honestly don't know where to go or look for help. Typing in anything related to headgasket has not given me any good results or anything to result with.

My issue is this, after the car warming up, I have smoke, its not blue but its not heavily white. It just has a small tint of white, more grey than pure white. Initially the car was purely stock and the same smoke came from the turbo's hot side and form the radiator and figured it was from the stock oil cooler in the radiator. Ended up getting a new turbo, changed the spark plugs, changed the intake, exhaust, headers, valve covers, and brand new gaskets all the way around with the parts that needed them. Now after warming her up with the new turbo as well as the pte remote oil filter (turbo saver), I still have the same color smoke coming from the radiator. Seems like its from the coolant. No milkshake whatsoever. The oil doesn't even look bad, and just recently changed it today with the pte turbo saver.

What I did read was to try the gm sealant tabs and see how that works. I have not done a compression test, that will be next. She's got 100k miles and seems to me like the info I got about her when purchasing back in August was false and the seller just flipped it real quick, knowing it had trouble.

Also read about pressure testing the radiator, but I don't think I need to be the coolant is being burned not leaking. Like I said, the smoke is not thick at all, and its more of a light grey than pure white. Definitely not blue. The temperature stays at a steady 170 degrees with the 160 degrees thermostat.

I've almost thrown in the towel, and on the verge of doing so. And by throwing the towel, I mean going to Jim Dunn and having him fix this car and bring it back to its glory. When I took her out for a drive the car wouldn't even want to go until after a few seconds of pressing the gas pedal. Almost as if it had to build up momentum to move. Now the weird thing is, when I first got the car right after buying it, she responded very well to applying the gas pedal and putting her into drive whereas the idle was shit then. Now its the opposite. The idle is perfect, from what I can tell by ear, and the drive is shit. Complete turd.

Is there anyone that could come by and inspect it? If not, I will then just call Jim Dunn and figure something out with him.

Yes sounds like you Have a blown gasket. These should be considererd a tune up kit for these cars, I know ive replaced a bunch of them over the years.

Same problem I had at one point. I took the car to get my differential re built and when I went to pick up my car, the car had a dead fuel pump.

Installed a new pump and the car never ran the same. On start up I would get the same smoke you describe and then would go away. Under acceleration car would stumble bad till finally the water made its way to the oil.

Later found out the mechanic that I had re build my rear end, blew my head gasket and of coarse denied it to the fullest.

Fresh rebuilt with less than 50 miles, engine was trash after that day. worst part is that someone else got to enjoy the car more than I did.

Same problem I had at one point. I took the car to get my differential re built and when I went to pick up my car, the car had a dead fuel pump.

Installed a new pump and the car never ran the same. On start up I would get the same smoke you describe and then would go away. Under acceleration car would stumble bad till finally the water made its way to the oil.

Later found out the mechanic that I had re build my rear end, blew my head gasket and of coarse denied it to the fullest.

Fresh rebuilt with less than 50 miles, engine was trash after that day. worst part is that someone else got to enjoy the car more than I did.

So i'm guessing the tablets won't do a damn thing.

Yes sounds like you Have a blown gasket. These should be considererd a tune up kit for these cars, I know ive replaced a bunch of them over the years.

I believe I got a oem replacement gasket kit from highway stars if my memory serves me right. I have the headgaskets from there. Are the oem ones as good as they get?

OEM is a good gasket. Most aftermarket gaskets are stronger than OEM - yet come at a "price".

I have 1 pair of new GM Headgaskets that I bought many years ago, and "shelved" for a different "stronger set-up - namely the stacked steel shim headgasket (P/N # 25524599) configuration - where you use 2 headgaskets on each side (total of 4) + some special sauce smeared all over them.

Reference:
----------------------------
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/steel-shim-headgaskets-vent-hole.388099/#post-3129328
------------------------------

The pair of OEM headgaskets I have are spamped GM - I can dig them out and send you pics - if you wish, and will let them go to you for "cheap"...

Good Luck !!!

OEM is a good gasket. Most aftermarket gaskets are stronger than OEM - yet come at a "price".

I have 1 pair of new GM Headgaskets that I bought many years ago, and "shelved" for a different "stronger set-up - namely the stacked steel shim headgasket (P/N # 25524599) configuration - where you use 2 headgaskets on each side (total of 4) + some special sauce smeared all over them.

Reference:
----------------------------
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/steel-shim-headgaskets-vent-hole.388099/#post-3129328
------------------------------

The pair of OEM headgaskets I have are spamped GM - I can dig them out and send you pics - if you wish, and will let them go to you for "cheap"...

Good Luck !!!

I was not planning on doing anything crazy internally with the block, so I think I'll stick with the GM stock original ones. I have a set at home, I guess one of the things I initially purchased for the car, just in case. Turns out I'll need it.

Question though to anyone watching and who knows prices on engine work. I read around here that headgasket job should be around $1000. I got quoted for timing chain about $700-800. I can pretty much figure out individual pricing, but what if all that is done at the same time.

So headgasket job, timing chain, valve springs and lets say valve seals all together, how much should that run me? Is it somewhere around $2000 or more like $3000?

If you are going to do all of that you might as well pull the motor and put it on a stand. Save you a lot of time and back ache leaning over and under a car to do all of that. I would be putting in a new cam while you are at it. A cam is not that much.

Give your location so someone can get out there to give you a hand troubleshooting . It will save you a lot of aggrivation and time.

Have you reached out to Paul (pacecarta)? If not, might be worth your time to shoot him a PM.

Hey Reggie W... I changed the plugs gapd .025 AC delco, and changed the wires are MSD 8.5mm Super Connductor and coil is a new AC delco and powerlogger gave me these #'s
MAF;256.0g/s TPSl; 3.28v RPM; 5575 MPH; 59 WB AFR; 10.88:1 MAP; 285.61 KPA Volts;14.5 Boost; 25.6 02; 0.823 INJ Duty; 64%
and also the car still not go to 5600 RPM's or higher. Thinking of starting over...

Give your location so someone can get out there to give you a hand troubleshooting . It will save you a lot of aggrivation and time.
My location is in Clifton, NJ.

Where exactly is the smoke coming from?

What is your location?

Rick
The smoke is coming form the radiator cap, and I also have smoke coming from around the turbo, possibly underneath.

Things I checked around the turbo are the triangle gasket off the headers, downpipe gasket, and header gasket. All of which are not leaking. I have reason to believe the blown head gasket is either cylinder 2 or 4. I will do the compression test tomorrow morning, going i to work 3 hours earlier today.

Have you reached out to Paul (pacecarta)? If not, might be worth your time to shoot him a PM.
I haven't pm'ed pacecarta yet.

Hey Reggie W... I changed the plugs gapd .025 AC delco, and changed the wires are MSD 8.5mm Super Connductor and coil is a new AC delco and powerlogger gave me these #'s
MAF;256.0g/s TPSl; 3.28v RPM; 5575 MPH; 59 WB AFR; 10.88:1 MAP; 285.61 KPA Volts;14.5 Boost; 25.6 02; 0.823 INJ Duty; 64%
and also the car still not go to 5600 RPM's or higher. Thinking of starting over...

There is another section for scanmaster and powerlogger numbers where the members will respond to your numbers if you start a thread.

Sorry pal, didnt mean to jump on your thread, just havent heard from Reggie in a while eas trying to catch him, sorry!!!

Being that Jim Dunn is busy, i'll have some time to save up for the work.

When i drained to oil to put in the pte remote filter i saw small pieces, anywhere from 1/32" to 1/16" big in the drain pan. Seems like the guy i bought it from hid the issue and he drained the milkshake. Sigh....

Sent from my iPhone using Turbo Buick

[quote="Seems like the guy i bought it from hid the issue and he drained the milkshake. Sigh...."[/quote]

That would sure suck if true. Good Luck! :)