Posi Traction 87 T - Type

Mad_Trbo

I was looking around trying to figure out if the 87 T-Types came with posi traction. If not, is this a difficult upgrade?

Mad_Trbo said:
I was looking around trying to figure out if the 87 T-Types came with posi traction. If not, is this a difficult upgrade?
i dont know if your car has it,but under the trunk lid it should have a g80 if it has posi...i added it to my car and it took about 2 hrs...pretty easy..

Limited slip was not a standard feature but an extra cost option. Being that it's an unseen option many dealers did not order it for cars to be sold off their lot. On the other hand, people who took the time to order the exact car that they wanted usually included that option.

The easiest way is to look for the G80 code on the options list sticker on the underside of your trunk lid. If for some reason the sticker is gone then jack up the car in the rear. With the transmission still in park turn one of the back wheels. It should provide a fair amount of resistance. Maybe, on the order of 50 to 100 ft-lbs. Very low resistance means no limited slip or a completely worn out unit. Another option is to just do a little burnout. Although, if it's a test drive of someone else' car then I don't think they would appreciate that.

Installing a limited slip carrier is a bit involved. The job is not for everyone. The gnttype.org site has a good writeup on the subject.
http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/suspension/posi.html
I used the same writeup and the service manual as a guide for replacing my worn out carrier with an aftermarket Eaton unit in my car.
http://www.geocities.com/modeicrack/Buick/mods/posidiff.html

The hardness of the project depends on what route you take. If you use your current rearend and just take out the non posi unit and instal a posi unit it will take a lot of time and patience. If you just go to the junkyard or somewhere and find a good complete posi rear end that will fit your car then all you have to do is unhook everything off of your old rear end, drop it out of the car and install the new one.

That's an idea that i'll have to research. any donor cars you can suggest aside from the GN?