Porting Wastegate Hole ?

ikle

1)What tools are needed to port the wastegate bypass hole.2) Where can I buy them.3) What is the proper procedure of doing this.Thanks,ikle.

I used a dremel and a carbide cutting bit and then a small grinding stone to smooth things. To determine the area you need to port, if the turbo does not already have a carbon ring from the wastegate puck, you can put a coat of paint on the puck, attach the downpipe to the turbo, close the puck, remove the downpipe and you should have a good patten of the puck. I went to about 1/16" of the puck and spent time smoothing out the interior of the exhasut housing.

If you have access to a air compressor you should just buy a die grinder and a carbide bit. I dont think I have pictures, but I ported a couple of them. Get machinists dye to get a estimate of the puck size, then use a socket and scribe around it.

Thanks for the info, I'll be porting soon and will let you know how I made out.Thanks again,ikle.

Is it better to remove the turbo when doing this? Or just use a vacuum to suck up the metal shavings while porting the WG hole?

Is it better to remove the turbo when doing this? Or just use a vacuum to suck up the metal shavings while porting the WG hole?

You don't have to take it off but you do need to take the exducer housing off if you don't want to have metal in the exducer. That would cause you some issues even though it's small metal grindings it will still have an effect.

I don't know how to link you to my thread "Turbo Damage ??" but starting at about post # 9 RUQWKNF explains wastegate porting with great pictures of where & how much to remove. Hope this helps .
Sam

Guys thanks again for all the great info,making the job of porting that much easier and being able to do it right the first time

Just do not port too much material ,, close to the pivot side of the puck,it can get caught /hung up just before the wastegate closes.

Hope that makes sense?

Simply use a carbide cutter as already described. If you have to go larger than 1.1" you are likely trying to run low boost and should probably be running a smaller turbo. I've yet to see the hole needing to be larger than that if you are using the turbo at 80% or more of it's potential. Over porting will cause boost drop off if you try and really work the turbo hard. Over porting gives the ex pressure more surface area to push on requiring more spring pressure to be required to maintain boost at higher rpms. No need to remove the turbo. I've done this on at least 30 cars over the years and no problems. There is no way for the grindings to enter the turbo. If there was you would have a huge problem with hot ex gases entering the chra and crankcase. The grindings are immediately blown out on startup.

Bison, I am glad you chimed in,I want your opinion to make sure I am doing the right thing.Here's the story I am running a stock turbo and when I installed a Dutt neck stock intercooler I am unable to control the boost under 18lbs. I disconnected the waste gate actuator from the DP swing arm and wired the waste gate fully opened and I was still making 18lbs,it started to kick in at about 3800-4000rpm.So with help from other members and a lot of reading it came down to a boost creep issue,but whats confusing to me is a friend of mine has the same exact setup(turbo,intercooler,ATR DP) as me and has no problem with boost creep,he runs 16lbs on the street.How is this possible? :confused: I have no problem porting out the wastegate hole if it will solve the problem and not create new ones.Have you ever seen or heard of having this issue with a stock turbo.Thanks,ikle.

Bison, I am glad you chimed in,I want your opinion to make sure I am doing the right thing.Here's the story I am running a stock turbo and when I installed a Dutt neck stock intercooler I am unable to control the boost under 18lbs. I disconnected the waste gate actuator from the DP swing arm and wired the waste gate fully opened and I was still making 18lbs,it started to kick in at about 3800-4000rpm.So with help from other members and a lot of reading it came down to a boost creep issue,but whats confusing to me is a friend of mine has the same exact setup(turbo,intercooler,ATR DP) as me and has no problem with boost creep,he runs 16lbs on the street.How is this possible? :confused: I have no problem porting out the wastegate hole if it will solve the problem and not create new ones.Have you ever seen or heard of having this issue with a stock turbo.Thanks,ikle.
It's possible even with a stock turbo and free flowing exhaust. Openmthe hole up to .900-.925. That should take care of it. I used to wire the gate shut on the stock turbo and run it for all it was worth and dumped in a lot of alky.