Ported Stock Grand National Heads

chevellejoe

1987 Grand National Heads. Professionally ported by Gessler in 97. Larger intake valves, 1.77. Machined for O ring style head gaskets. Comes with beehive valve springs for roller cam. I have had them on the car for 6 years. Put about 50K on them. No issues, just stepping up to ported aluminum's. Previous owner had the work done supposedly 5k prior to me buying car. I have not disassembled them but they do have valve seals on both intake and exhaust valves. At minimal I would replace those and lap the valves in before use.$750 East Meadow, NY. SOLD
IMG_3117.jpg
IMG_3118.jpg
IMG_3120.jpg
IMG_3121.jpg
IMG_3123.jpg
IMG_3125.jpg
IMG_3126.jpg

Last edited:
Can you help me understand the part about being machined for O ring style head gaskets? I am familiar with Gessler's port work......which I think he no longer does. I recall Frank Urbinati having a set of Gessler ported heads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's pretty self explanatory if you look at the combustion chamber.

Let me put it in simple terms for you. See those pretty round circles machined into the head where the head gasket thingy goes?

Well you need to buy the gasket with a male circle that fits in the female circle.

Well thanks for that smartass answer and sorry I asked the question. I kinda figured it was a circle, I just don't understand how that is better. But please don't explain it......I would rather not hear it from you.

Well thanks for that smartass answer and sorry I asked the question. I kinda figured it was a circle, I just don't understand how that is better. But please don't explain it......I would rather not hear it from you.

The cut receiver grooves in the head .. mate to a FELPRO LOCWIRE 1007 head gasket ... so what it actually does is create a seal with the addition of the wire in headgasket .
Much harder to blow the headgasket that way .

Its a long time used method .. the older method was to use a receiver groove cut in the block or head and then a piano wire or stainless wire gets inserted into that groove.. this can be used with a conventional graphite headgasket and works very very well. As long as the block never needs to be decked your golden.

The cut receiver grooves in the head .. mate to a FELPRO LOCWIRE 1007 head gasket ... so what it actually does is create a seal with the addition of the wire in headgasket .
Much harder to blow the headgasket that way .

Its a long time used method .. the older method was to use a receiver groove cut in the block or head and then a piano wire or stainless wire gets inserted into that groove.. this can be used with a conventional graphite headgasket and works very very well. As long as the block never needs to be decked your golden.

Thanks. That is an excellent explanation that is very helpful. It makes sense to me now how this would be stronger than a standard gasket.

I use to use the 1007 head gaskets. Use to. If the head is machined by a seriously competent machinist, they work well. But keep in mind that the groove must have a tolerance of .001" over a 4.100" diameter. Not many shops can hold that tolerance. Most cannot. I use to have a buddy (RIP Dale ) that would machine the groove at .0005" tolerance and the gaskets worked very well. If the heads were machined with a BHJ fixture, then they need to be measured carefully. The groove MUST be accurate to .001" over a 4.1" diameter. I have one set of 1007 Felpro gaskets if anyone needs them.

Reactions: AHF

I admit it was a little smart assish but I was just keeping it on a kindergarden level as I knew you had no clue what you were looking at.

Sorry if i hurt your feelings that wasn't my intent.

When in doubt do a search first, if you still can't find the answer then ask.