Porsche variable turbine technology

Sinister86

I was checking out the new turbo 911 on the porsche website and was astonished to read about this new variable turbine system they will be employing. There is a great demo of the actuators working. Im still in awe of the whole system and the engenering-materials it would take to make this all possible under such extreme conditions. So how many years do you all think it will take for this to hit the aftermarket? :D

Kinda like the ford 6.0 and new isuzu v8 with the electronic variable pitch vanes in the diesels?
No need for it, just another gadget to break IMO.

At work our NEW 6.0 ford ate a new vp turbo in 400 miles, thanks ford

BW

Dodge did this in the 80s, look up the shelby CSX-VNT. The Turbo Dodge guys report that the cars have noticeably less lag with the VNT system, but there must be a drawback if it hasn't caught on over the last 15 years. Probably just too complicated. Of course, cadillac did the 2-4-8 multi-cylinder stuff a long time ago, and technology has finally caught up enough to make it relaible in the mopars. I think it would take quite a bit of external controls to make a VNT turbo work correctly on something other than the car it was designed for.

Quick6'n'-K.C. said:
Kinda like the ford 6.0 and new isuzu v8 with the electronic variable pitch vanes in the diesels?
No need for it, just another gadget to break IMO.

At work our NEW 6.0 ford ate a new vp turbo in 400 miles, thanks ford

BW

It's unfortunate that yours let go so soon, but that's hardly indicative of the industry. There are 10's of thousands of those turbos in use around the world and their technology works just fine. Allows the use of a larger turbo than one would normally think about for lot's more top end HP, but with the added advantage of quick spoolup at lower rpm/load ranges.

The diesal truck having this sort of tech. is news to me. Chrysler too, and I even owned a 88 shelby z at one time... Still, the porsche unit looks like the most top notch in all aspects.

how about a simplier idea? 2 different sized pipes from the headers into the turbing housing. one normal full size one with a big wastegate that can close to shut it off forcing the air to go through a secoundary smaller pipe that could use pure air pressure to spin the turbines, when boost is up the wastegate could open up and let the engine breathe and make even more power?

sounds simple enough, your not changing anything inside the turbo just the way the air gets to it. just a crazy idea...