Porsche 911 question..

My buick was quite a bit faster or at least it felt faster. The 911sc handled amazing though, very fun car. My brother in law recently bought a 2003 911 carerra and let me take it for a spin, i was not impressed with it.

No worries carlo.
So the older 911's werent' fast eh? Dam.. I was sort of wanting one lol.

Fast is a relative term. This is a website devoted pretty much to straight line speed. Take the stock mid 80's 911 vs stock '87 GN at Laguna Seca and it would be a cake walk for the 911. I had at least as much fun carving the local mountains in my 911 as I did in my GN at the Pomona Drag Strip.

Road and Track listed the 1986 911 13.9 @ 100 mph 1/4 mile / 149 Top Speed. So stock 1/4 mile comparison is damn close. However, increasing HP on a 911 is very expensive. Especially compared to the "easy-to-make-fast" turbo Buicks.

If you're looking to win the stoplight to stoplight matches, you don't want a 911. If you want a piece of road racing history and unmatched german engineering, consider it.

I would recommend the years 1978-1989 as they built a sheetload of them. They are dependable and affordable with parts readily available.

What do you call expensive, when talking about adding HP.

Dude, its a porsche. Dinan wants 25k for BMWs to turbo them...what do you think a Porsche will charge?

As for speed: I raped a brand new-dealer plates CarreraS back in 05 when I had my GN running my te45a at about 18psi...nowhere near its sweet spot.

Porsches are not that fast against a modded TR/GN. Unless it is the GT2, and even then, a well-modded GN can more than take it.

They are mid-high 12 second cars. Only the GT2 runs mid-low 12s. The Carrera GT is 11.9 I think? maybe 12.1?

You don't buy a porsche to mod it. You buy a porsche to own a porsche..

I know all about moddin' bmw's. :) I just sold mine. (too expensive lol)
Though, I don't know much about the 911's powerplant other than it's a flat 6 and has the best record in race car history. Other than that I'm clueless. How do I know there aren't a couple of cheap mods you can do, to boost the hp. For me, if I can add about 100 hp for under 3 grand, that would be ok. They're light as **** so why not?

And their fast model is a 12 second car? Screw that ****. I'll stick with my gn.

I know all about moddin' bmw's. :) I just sold mine. (too expensive lol)
Though, I don't know much about the 911's powerplant other than it's a flat 6 and has the best record in race car history. Other than that I'm clueless. How do I know there aren't a couple of cheap mods you can do, to boost the hp. For me, if I can add about 100 hp for under 3 grand, that would be ok. They're light as **** so why not?

And their fast model is a 12 second car? Screw that ****. I'll stick with my gn.

Yeah. The turbo is 500hp, and the GT2 is 530hp and weighs 3900lbs...

They really are not THAT fast when compared to a modded GN. Then again, you don't buy a porsche to drag race it.

For 3g's I'd buy an alky kit, turbo,inj, IC, and a translator+/gen 2.

When I had my 79 911sc I thought of superchargeing it. There was a complete supercharger kit for the 3.0 CIS system that ran around 5k new. I found a couple used kits on ebay under 3k, but decided to sell the car instead. As far as modding the old 911, it was fairly inexpensive due to the used and aftermarket parts that are available out there. Go to pelicanparts.com if you want to reasearch the 911. They have a huge used parts section and also sell new parts. They are the larges online 911 community I could find.

I thought 911 sc meant supercharged?

Nope it stands for "super carrera"
The euro model makes around 220hp stock with the naturally aspirated V6, which is very impressive by 1979 V6 standards.

The supercharger would give it maybe another 75-110hp

Nope it stands for "super carrera"
The euro model makes around 220hp stock with the naturally aspirated V6, which is very impressive by 1979 V6 standards.

The supercharger would give it maybe another 75-110hp

V6 in a 911?? Not hardly. :eek: