POR 15, Amazing stuff

n20junkie

Sponser needed
well i am working on the new race car, and decided to use por15 on the cage and chassis, this stuf is absolutly amazing, brush on leaves a finish without any brush lines or orange peel, shine is woutstanding, and hard as a rock, i bouced a 9'' centersection off of the cage, all it did was chip a very little piece, i painted the tail steel on wed, cleaned it with canned brake cleaner and carb cleaner for a 2nd coat, and that stuff would dull any auto finish, all this stuff did was clean up to an even better shine, did not affect the stuff, it can be put on engines, good to 500+ degrees f and it dries by absorbing moisture so it has hardly any smell, the only prob is get it in small quantities, because if you get moise air in the gallon can as i did the whole can will react and in a week you will have a solid can of paint, this stuff is better than all 2 part paints i have used, civilian and military and like i said the finish is out of this world. i recoment it to everyone, especially in an engine compartment, and they have a specifiec color for chassis, check this stuff out people
Grant J Farmer

Grant, you're absolutely right about POR-15! Great paint!

Are there many TR's around Fayetteville? :)

can it be thinned? I want to soak it (or something) into the bottom seams of my doors (they are starting to show signs of the R word........ (shhh dont say it...)

Any other ideas about saving good doors from impending doom / rust?

Bob

POR 15 is awesome---i used it on a previous GN i owned and worked great.

Yes there are some other Regal's in the F'ville area.I was in F'ville about a month ago at the drag strip(nice place)====I live in Wilmington and there are some more TR's in Raleigh.Give us a yell and meet us at the strip.

Geoff Hall

POR

POR products are A M A Z I N G ! Just don't get it on your Skin!!!

I have used it for years on rusted or scaled metal parts and it's incredible. Once it's on, It's NOT coming off!!

One word to the wise however, as it says on the can......POR Will break down from UV exposure!!!

Tom

I have been using this for years and it is AWESOME!. Do keep in mind if the painted areas are exposed to UV rays it will break down. I purchase the POR 15 in the small cans that come in a 6 pack.

por 15 can be thinned, but it is kinda thin already, much thinner than any other paint in a can, but when it dries it doesn't lose any thinner, it just cures with moisture so it mantains its thickness, it can be sprayed too, but you have to absolutly sure that you have no moisture in your lines or you will cause the paint to cure before it leaves your gun, a one time moisture filter is a must, por15 does not like uv rays as has been mentioned, but after putting the super strong base coat, a paint called topcoat is able to be painted on the base and that topcoat is uv resistant, and able to adhere to the base, if you try to use any other paint on the por15 with out a special primer then it will chip off, it is that glossy, and that hard, i painted my cage with the stuff, like painting a jungle gym with a 14 pt cage, i looked like a leper the next day, the stuff will absorb the moisture from your skin and dry, and the stuff will not come off, you can get it off as soon as the contact happens with parts cleaner or the solevent, but other than that it wont come of,, i dried parts, carb cleaner, super cleean, purple power, green scrubby pad, steel wool and a bunch of other crap, it still took a week for that layer of skin to die and fall off, have fun
Grant J Farmer
PS and for turbo cars in fayetteville, slim to none, there are a few on post, a hot air guy that has a 2 foot piece of allthread in place of a 1 inch alt bolt, and he is a total street hero punk, another intercooled guy, that is not real into turbo cars, he has a grey gn ( repainted obvosioly) and is not knowlagable, there are two brothers that own gn's and they own an exaust shop, real cool guys, but other than that and i have been here for 3 years, no turbo guys, but when i hit the ground running with the new cars i will put the mustang guys , some of which say that they can beat any gm, in there place:cool:

Originally posted by TurboBob
can it be thinned? I want to soak it (or something) into the bottom seams of my doors (they are starting to show signs of the R word........ (shhh dont say it...)

Any other ideas about saving good doors from impending doom / rust?

Bob

Thats what I did Bob. Rust hasnt progressed since. Just make sure you clear out the drain holes.

Same goes for the 1/4 panels.

POR USES

Yes the POR rules. I bought my TR a few months ago and would not have if it were not for POR. You see , it was a Florida car. It has bad rot on its underside and bubbling door skins. Using any other paint and rot would just come back. On my other cars , whenever I have a need to pull a door panel , I paint the inside bottom of the door . In many cases that just means pouring the stuff into the doors' inside.
A hint , on pure rust, do use 2 or more coats.
As far as cleanup , just use laquer thinner. If you clean before its too dry , it comes off OK.
Also, is it possible that "miracle paint" form JC Whitney is just like POR ? Ive heard of a guy swearing by it .