POP. Puff smoke at WOT???

1BADT

TurboHolic
Out cruising the other night I punched it and the car pulled very strong then while shifting into 3rd I here a loud pop from under the hood and a light puff of moke comes out the tailpipes. I did not catch what was going on on my scanmaster and I did not want to try it again. What are some of the typical causes of Popping at WOT? If there is anything else you need to know just ask. Any help is greatly appreciated, THANKS

Same thing happened to me, but i dont know if mine smoked or not. Wot popped, then tried again just to see if it would repeat itself, and sure enough it did.

1. check plugs, and gapping mine are at a tight .035 i now run NGKs
2. coil pack, module, if you have another you can try i would do that because they are not cheap.
3. plug wires.
4. reverse #s 3and4 and check in that order.

Anyway mine turned out to be the plugs. They #6 was kinda loose and almost wobbling when i checked it. My guess they fouled out and that caused the bad firing. Hope that helps

jojo

Not enough fuel and weak ignition are usually the causes of popping.
Gap your plugs around .032 if running more than stock boost. Mine was popping and it turned out to be the module.

Test the coil pack with an ohmmeter, should get between 11k-13k ohms.
Pull the #2 plug, fire up the car and ground the electrode on the turbo. should get a bright blue spark. Be sure to wear gloves or you will get a new hairdo. Also do it when the engine is hot. Mine was orange after the engine got hot signalling weak spark