Poor WOT shift on fresh trans

joed

:confused:
I just had my 30k 86GN trans done at a very reputable shop. I don't have any problem with it during normal driving, nice crisp shifts at the correct times. At or near WOT shifts it's slipping at times, and at other times the 1-2 is so slow and soft I have to watch the tach slowly drop over a ~1 second period to know that it's shifted. Leaving it in 2 and letting it shift itself didn't help 1-2, but manually shifting int 3rd did seem to help the 2-3...altho a WOT 2-3 isn't the easiest thing to keep testing!;)

I know the shop will stand behind it and fix it up to get it right, no problem there, stand up reputation and skills in the TR community. I just don't understand how the shifts can be firm for all driving up to say 3/4 throttle and soft and slow beyond that. When I brought it in to the shop it shifted TOO hard and at wierd times, short into 2 and long into 3. Now it's a different problem.

My car a street driver with recipie, TE60, 2800 D5 lockup. I'll be shooting to get into the 11's in street trim when all is said and done.

Can someone expalin how this can happen and what it takes to fix it? Thanks, Joe:)

I'm having similar problems....

Any clue as to what could be causing this? I really wished I knew about this site before having the local tranmission shop do the work. I am thinking maybe I will take the loss and have Bruce build me another.

I would like to know what causes a flare when shifting. Also, shouldn't shift get firmer at WOT due to more line pressure?

TIA

Hello Joe,

I would give your reputable builder the first shot at it. Did they install the unit or did you? The first thing I would do, is to check the line pressure in the tranny. After that, an intelligent diagnosis can began. Some simple things can affect this, such as fluid level, TV cable adjustment and filter installation.

Hey Geerrhead,
in reading your reply you said the filter installation could affect this. I installed a shift kit last night for the first time.

My question is do you push it in until it cannot go in any further ?
This is were I left mine . It looked like the lip on the filter tube was seeted well in the hole and if I had it out any further than this the pan would not go on.

Thanks
Jeff

Hello Jeff,

It sounds like you have the right technique. Sometimes the old O-ring stays in the pump. I have seen where more than one O-ring kept the filter from installing fully. Also, the the metal tab under the VB bolt, pushes the the filter towards the pan. I have seen people use this tab to hold the filter in place, which is incorrect.:rolleyes: :)