Poll: To mod or not to mod

to mod or not to mod an original low mile GN

• Yes I would mod it.

Votes: 44 65.7%
  • No way I would mod it.

Votes: 23 34.3%

• Total voters

maxcom

Say you have a low mile original GN.....would you mod it? What mods would/can you do that are completely reversible? What would you expect to gain from those mods?

The mods done to the car in your sig should be a good start. I would do a TT chip instead and use the stock injectors.

Buy a high mileage car if want to go "fast". Keep the original GN's original.:)

The mods done to the car in your sig should be a good start. I would do a TT chip instead and use the stock injectors.

your WE4 looks awesome, if i could find those wheels I'd put BFG TA's on them and preserve my stockers.

Well, you only live once so if you feel like "modding" it, then go ahead and do it...Heck, it's YOUR car!...I know that a stock GN might be worth more to some people, but they're not as fun to drive as when you've done some modifications (especially in the "power" department)!...:biggrin: In stock form, they drive ok, but there isn't much "fun factor" :(...If I think about the enjoyment I get from driving my car the way it is now and compare it with the way it was when I bought it new, well it's much better now!...There's absolutely NO comparison!!:eek: It has a LOT more power now than stock, I've also upgraded the interior with a few comfort goodies like both driver and passenger power seats, custom-installed aftermarket shifter, a few gauges, a GM "factory looking" cd player, simulated stainless steel dash overlay kit, armrest cushion, a/c still works, etc...Now, whenever I sit in a stock GN, although it's a great car, to me it feels "bland" compared to mine...:redface:
I think it all comes down to a matter of personal taste...Like they say..."TO EACH HIS OWN"...:wink:

Claude. :)

Life is short, mod the car and have some fun!!!:cool:

HELL YA !!! just do a few simple mods and of course keep the stock parts.. I'd chip it (TT) , Julio's Alky, fuel reg, hot wire, good pump and a good set of tires.. keep it really simple and go easy mid 12s anyway :cool:

If I had a low mile GN, I'd probably do simple mods like a chip, fuel pump, hot wire...stuff that would actually enhance the car to keep it going and not blow it up at 15 lbs of boost....but I'd keep all the stock parts I took off of it.

HELL YA !!! just do a few simple mods and of course keep the stock parts.. I'd chip it (TT) , Julio's Alky, fuel reg, hot wire, good pump and a good set of tires.. keep it really simple and go easy mid 12s anyway :cool:

kinda like the sound of that :cool:

Simple easy mods

Do the simple and easy stuff to keep an eye on the tune. A scanmaster and a few extra gauges make sense. I keep a reasonable stock appearing look, but changed to black intake piping, a bigger stock location intercooler, MSD wires and a bigger turbo that still keeps the exhaust housing cover.
I can return to stock if I ever want to.

Do what you want! ;) I am so tired of people in my area telling me what I should do or should have done to MY car. Some people hate GNs...of course they need serious help...but it is true. Your car should be an extension of your own personality. As others have said, always keep your original parts so it can go back to stock if needed. Personally, I like to keep my cars stock looking while at the same time making it better than stock.

If its your only toy and you want to drive it as much as possible lightly mod it.
Keep all the stock parts, and records of mods. I dobut you would find a low 14 second, 25 year old car much fun these days.

I still have Julio's Alky with 3bar still new in the box,(sold the car before i gotta chance to install it) and kept the Scanmaster.

What's the fuel pump, hot wire kit and regulator of choice these days?

I know this to be true.

No matter what we say, you will mod your car. You may be able to hold off for a couple months....but you will get the itch, then an infection, then a full blown disease.

and there's no sex in the champagne room.

You HAVE to Mod it..a BONE stock Black GN on a Hot/Humid day is a 15 SECOND
Car!!! You'll get Spanked by Dam near EVERY car on the Road nowadays!!!

I did see a bone stock low mile car at the Midwest Challenge in Osceola in 09'. It was whisper quiet like they were before the exhaust mods started to roll in.
Fix the fuel system flaws
a turbo tweak chip
scanmaster
MAF and translator
spring cleaning
new valve springs
double roller timing chain.
Razors Alky if you want to push out some hp from time to time. Just remember the trans may disagree.

That would make for a nice cruise night car.:cool:

I can relate to this. I have a low mile GN that has a few mods. Cold air, TT chip, adj. fpr, hot wire, ATR exhaust, scanmaster, MAF and Translator but I feel the need for more. I want it to be FASTER. Everyone thinks these cars are soooooo fast. The reality is that they were fast in 87 but now they will get spanked by alot of stock cars on the street. I also dont want to decrease the value of my car by adding a ton of mods. What do you do?:confused: