Police Scanners

Little6pack

Anybody into owning & listing to PD Scanners?

I am actually Listening ONLINE to the Cleavland OHIO PD.

WOW what action!:eek:

I host a online scanner for my area but it is currently down.... had a "big" water leak last month that killed my severs :( still working on fixing the room....

I host both the police and fire tho..

yup, i listen everyday at work and at home. nothing but the finest here in LA

yup, i listen everyday at work and at home. nothing but the finest here in LA

links to websites you visit to listen?

link to products you use to listen?

I would be very interested and would love to here what those street soldiers have to respond to everyday.

Listen while u can:). Once everyone goes digital listening equipment will get real expensive.

It will be nice not to have to see all the fire-fighter wannabees showing up at every fire trying to film everything. Gets annoying after a while especially when they block the road:rolleyes:.

I will admit tho, tow truck operators listen to them often and actually locate cars that dispatch puts BOLO's out for so I guess they can be good for some things. Most everyone will be going digital sooner or later making most all scanner useless.

i did use the internet (listening post) till they took it down. now i just us my work handheld.

You guys REALLY need to get a life! ;):biggrin:

I've always been concerned about scanners from an officer safety standpoint. It was bad enough that we started flagging residences that had scanners so that we would know in case of a serious call, such as domestic disturbance, man with a gun, etc. etc.

concern over your concern

frequencies were made available "BY LAW" so that the tax payers that pay your salaries CAN monitor the police(kinda keep tabs on and keep us safe from undo harm).thats why tactical freq. are used to subdo the scum bags to keep you our first line of defense safe and recorded. here in the country a 12 gauge and deer slugs do just fine. we dont have gangs here cause we take our problems to the woodshed early in life.:wink:

Listen while u can:). Once everyone goes digital listening equipment will get real expensive.

It will be nice not to have to see all the fire-fighter wannabees showing up at every fire trying to film everything. Gets annoying after a while especially when they block the road:rolleyes:.

I will admit tho, tow truck operators listen to them often and actually locate cars that dispatch puts BOLO's out for so I guess they can be good for some things. Most everyone will be going digital sooner or later making most all scanner useless.

Depending what grants your department receives you maybe "able" to go digital.... but you will still have to broadcast a non digital signal also. Our main operations channels are digital but we have a secondary repeater*sp* that puts it back out on a 500 freq. We are required to do this with our fed level grant :D

The only channel that is no rebroadcasted is our hazmat operations channel which we have no even used yet in the county since it was enabled. :rolleyes: I would like to see the fire side go all digital but I do not see it happening in my county for atleast another 5 years....

Here in no where Kansas all we hear are road kill deer and "I will be 10-10 at my 42 for meal break":wink:

God I am glad I dont live where there is "action":biggrin:

frequencies were made available "BY LAW" so that the tax payers that pay your salaries CAN monitor the police(kinda keep tabs on and keep us safe from undo harm).thats why tactical freq. are used to subdo the scum bags to keep you our first line of defense safe and recorded. here in the country a 12 gauge and deer slugs do just fine. we dont have gangs here cause we take our problems to the woodshed early in life.:wink:

Buddy, you better stick with drag racing.

don't you think that was uncalled for son?was any of that i said untrue? im firm believer in the law---------way behind me...........:biggrin: rememember what andy griffith said...when deal'in with people its better to go by your heart than the book ,you get along with people alot better....but i guess you big city cops got more than you can clean up,,,,,country liv'in:wink:

frequencies were made available "BY LAW" so that the tax payers that pay your salaries CAN monitor the police(kinda keep tabs on and keep us safe from undo harm).
No, not even close. That is not why frequencies are made available to the general public. to "Monitor:rolleyes:" the Police? Not sure where ur getten ur info from but it could not be further from the truth. We have supervisors that do that.

We don't need every yahoo in the city knowing what side of town the police are at so they can now go rob a corner store cause the Police are tied up at a fire blocking off streets....:rolleyes:

Does the drug dealer or robbery suspect who has no "JOB", therefore pays no "TAXES" entitled to know where the Police are so they can sell their poison to kids or victimize another citizen and elude Police? Or howabout the guy beaten the chit out of his wife and now hears the call dispatched and can now leave asap before the Police arrive. Are they all entitled to know what the Police are doing as well? Get a clue!

You wanna know what the Police do on a day to day basis? It's easy, watch "COPS" to TV:rolleyes:. Never heard so much garbage in one post before.

Mr. Ingersoll, I'll try to be as respectful as possible, here...

First of all, you have no clue which police agency I work for, or whether I work in a big city or in sticks. I haven't said. Secondly, you have no clue how old I am. Don't assume.

In many jurisdictions (I've worked for a few) the police will respond to a call at a residence for whatever reason, and will realize there is a scanner present. The police will make the determination that the residence be 'flagged' through the dispatch computer system as having a scanner. The typical reasons are hostile to law enforcement, gang activity, drug activity, constitutionalists types, repeated calls for theft (fencing), etc, etc. That way, when officers are responding to calls for service from these houses they can remain safe. These types of residences usually will make up a large percentage of the calls police respond to. It's unfortunate but the 5% who can't seem to behave are also the ones who use police services the most. When I say the most, I'm talking the vast majority of police time, and resources, and calls for service.

If a police officer is responding to a domestic disturbance at a residence, and this is a repeat residence, with known drug activity, or an aszhole who is anti-law enforcement, then you can damn sure bet I would want to know there is a scanner there. Having been involved in a shoot-out at a domestic disturbance nine years ago with a man armed with a gun, I want every little bit of information I can get prior to arriving. If the bad guy is listening, and knows we are coming, then I need to know that too. If the dispatcher knows there is a scanner at a residence they are sending officers to, then they will typically put the call out via other methods. Ambush of police officers is a new stark reality in this day and age. There have never been more than in 2009. Ever.

If you don't fit any of the above, then I wouldn't get your panties in a wad.

The only reason I have explained this is because I know who you are, and I respect what you've done. I'll accept your apology.

Quiet frankly, I would like to see all police agencies go to encrypted channels. The public has no need to listen to the day to day operations of their local agencies. The only reason many haven't is because of the costs involved. As Brett mentioned, most agencies have to switch to digital by federal mandate, and the monitoring equipment will become very expensive for the public, but not entirely impossible. I would like to see agencies encrypt and then there won't be a threat to officers safety.

edit-oh, and little6pack, I appologize for hijacking your thread. I guess this particular topic is sensitive for me because of my personal experiences I've had a work. There have been several of them that solidified me feelings about the subject.

Quiet frankly, I would like to see all police agencies go to encrypted channels. The public has no need to listen to the day to day operations of their local agencies. The only reason many haven't is because of the costs involved. As Brett mentioned, most agencies have to switch to digital by federal mandate, and the monitoring equipment will become very expensive for the public, but not entirely impossible. I would like to see agencies encrypt and then there won't be a threat to officers safety.

The easiest way for the county and police force's to go with the federal mandate, is to get the grants. A LOT of departments are not fallowing that trend..... because the grants will not allow total encryption. Also another reason a lot of the country has not updated to a digital system is 9 times out of 10 the CAD system they use can not support it.

I agree with having MDT's and the ability to have patient info or previous call info passed onto the officers/ems without it being over the air, but I do not agree with total encryption.... I also feel the 100% digital networks are not strong enough yet to totally ditch the 500-800 mhz systems.

But I only deal with this stuff on a daily basis so what do I know :biggrin: My company has around 36,xxx digital radios distributed threw the country.... and I will say even with the best technology there is still major problems with them :mad::biggrin:

I really enjoyed them back in the 90's. I worked at Radio Shack during my high school days and really got into them. I installed and programmed all the scanners in the PD and SO patrol cars and kept them updated on frequencies I would find. They could monitor alot more than they wanted to!:biggrin: cause back in the day, you could listen to cordless phones outside of someones house and 800mhz cell phones were no prob to intercept. ahh the good old days. I still have 2 scanners, havent turned them on in over a year.