**PLZ READ!!!** Im seriously in need of help!!!! no kidding plz help!

Tonight my car started acting up really bad, and this is not a very good thing, its my ONLY CAR!!!. i have LITTLE money,,.. and I CANT Figure out the problem!!!!!!!!

Ok heres what kinda car it is.

- 1984 Buick Grand National.
- Mostly Stock, Custom CAI w/cone filter (placed in the front Like a FMIC))
- 3" Exhaust w/3" Mufflers
- 2.5" Manifold to turbo pipe
- Boost Set @ 15psi

Car had a minor miss, a fairly decent exhaust leak, and a hessitation, and a transmission kinda messing up.

Heres what happend, I was on my way to my girlfriends, car was doing fine. got to her house. VERY Dusty/Sandy Road. No dust as of yet. Got to her house, car still doing fine.

Was going to go to the haunted maze place. Followed her friend.
VERY VERY dusty conditions. Drove to the school, car was doing fine, even under boost. (we were having fun).

Parked my car and let it idle for a while. shut it off.

Came back out after about 1 hour, started car, and drove off. immediatly the car started, hickuping, making a poping noise, (kinda like a back fire).
boost gauge going crazy, car will not hit boost, thought the car was out of gas, so i put 10 gallons in it. still the same ****, drove it back, to her house, decided to let it sit for a while. came back out 3 hrs later, car started fine, stuck my ear up to the exhaust, the same miss it had, no worse, no better. poped the hood, check around for fire light while the engine was running, didnt see any fire poping.

Drove home, 75mph doing fine, unless i tried to accellerate, still poped.
got to the stop light, car started ideling funny and making a noise, then i threw it in netural, and it retrned to normal,. threw it back in drive, same poping noise, threw it into 2nd, and it did fine, was able to boost to 15psi, and 1st gear was the same, 3rd and OD however it made the noise, so i drove it home in 2nd.

Got home, threw it in park, revved it up to 4.5k and it did fine, no miss/hessitation, sputters or hiccups. shut the car off when it was at 4.5k, listend to my turbo whine down, heard a noise, so i did it agian, and it sounded like my turbo was possably hitting the housing and grinding on it.

PS: Im running Castrol Syntec 5w50 and it started getting worse!!!

So thats were im at, and im trying to figure it out, please help guys, i need your knolege, and i have very little time..... :(

- cody
84 GN

If you do not have a lot of money, stop running 5w 50 synthetic. There is no need with frequent oil changes on dino oil.

Take off your inlet pipe and grab the compressor wheel at the nut, gently pull it in and out and up and down. If you have noticable play, your turbo needs a rebuild.

I have had a bad turbo but it never did what you are describing.

It sounds like you have a problem when the car is under load, see if you can find a local GN'er with a lab top program or scanmaster to help you out.

Good luck, and I know what its like to have your daily driver, weekend driver and occasional driver all down at the same time. :mad: :(

I may be confused, but did you say you revved the engine to 4500 RPM and shut it off in order to listen to the turbo wind down? And then did it again? If that's what you did, I'm not surprised that you think you heard the turbo wheel hitting the housing. Major no-no with turbos. You may have killed it.

Follow Dr. Booster's advice to check the shaft play.

Could be the MAF, could be the coil pack. Try disconnecting the computer for 5 seconds and reconnect it....than see how the car drives. If it runs good afterwards, you might have a bad coil pack.

I am not an expert but could it be the torque converter clutch locking up. Mine would act up after driving for a little while at 45+ mph them it would bog the engine down and even stall it out sometimes when you slowed down. But I was'nt getting any backfiring or missing. Once I unplugged it the problem went away. It's the electrical plug on the driver side of the tranny. Sorry, I can't offer anymore help :frown: Post your problem on the Hot Air board.