plugs and wires.

denn454

turbo swimmer
here lately my car has been liking to backfire, only on the highway, after at least 20 minutes of driving. i think its loading up a cylinder with fuel from a plug not fireing every time it should. and it sounds like a redneck under my car with a 12 gauge every time it happens, not cool.

at the track it had a pretty bad mis at the top of 3rd, i think thats also a plug or a wire. there both old, and the previous owner never put the lube stuff on the plugs, so i'll end up having to cut the wires to get the plugs off. no big loss anyways.

so whats a good plug? i don't know what anyone would need to know to make a good sugestion, but i should be running mid-low 13's if i could ever get some decent air and traction. pretty well stock car with the usual little stuff done.

and what kind of plug wires should i look for? i know people at a gm dealership so i could get gm plugs at cost, but i don't know if thats the best way to go. i'd like to get a set that fits unlike the ones i have now. and i don't have $80 to spend of a few pieces of wire, looking for bang for the buck here.

I just put in an order for Red Armstrong's (Quad Air, Inc.) plug wires today!!!! EXCELLENT customer service!!! And from searching on the forums they're custom cut to fit our cars AND have been in the 9s!!!!!

Call him, not sure of the hours but the number is: 440-235-3232

ANDDDDDDDDDDDDD they're only 24$$$$ !!!!! :D

Originally posted by nero
I just put in an order for Red Armstrong's (Quad Air, Inc.) plug wires today!!!! EXCELLENT customer service!!! And from searching on the forums they're custom cut to fit our cars AND have been in the 9s!!!!!

Call him, not sure of the hours but the number is: 440-235-3232

ANDDDDDDDDDDDDD they're only 24$$$$ !!!!! :D

Exactly

I have used CR42TS, CR43TS and RapidFire #1 and all have worked well for me. Lots of guys will recommend aftermarket wires, but I have used factory GM wires for the last 8 years. the first set of GM wires I purchased 6 years ago were looking kind of gross. So I took my receipt (from another retailer) to my local GM dealer and they warrantied the wires, no questions asked. As long as these wires continue to hold up and are quality made, I'll use GM (since they have stood by their lifetime warranty).

oh yeah

Oh and I use CR43TS AC Delco plugs in accordance with the TR Bible (gnttype.org) because I know my car is slower than 12.50 in the 1/4 (see spring cleaning section of the TR Bible for that reference).

HTH
nero

:)

I used the AC plugs and the GM wires. Thats what I was advised to do when I needed to replace mine and have not had a problem. The wires fit right, too.

RED ARMSTRONG

And as a final result! Just got my plug wires in today!!!! Ordered Monday received today! That IS SERVICE! Only 33$ shipped!!!! Didn't put them on yet...waiting for the weekend but they are BLACK :D :D (a good thing, at least to me) and they are THICK!!! Coupled with all the other aforementioned facts... GOOD BUY! Hope you took this route!

:)

The AC Delco R43TS work for me - I do change them every spring but at $1.39 each it's pretty cheap. I got my wires from Checker - just their heavy duty wires for '86 -'87 TRs. Next time I get wires, I'll probably order from Red.

i was going to order the reds, but haven't gotten around to doing that. i'll just borrow a set of nice magnacores for this weekend, and order some reds asap.

got the new plugs and borrowed the wires. my low 14's are now even more impressive. AND i had one of the fastest 4 cylinders around. one of the plugs was, well not realy a plug any more, and one wire was definatly shorting out.

i made one run sortof with out nitrous, i forgot to turn the bottle on and went from a 41.1 down to a 13.8, dumping tons of fuel into the motor, should be in the mid 13's all day long

with a little juice off the line i went from 2.1 60' down to a 1.86. man thats fun

Red's wires get the nero thumbs up!!!

Glad ya got 'em up and running! Yeah dude, get Red's asap. They're BLACK (I like to keep my underhood black and stainless) and I believe they're 8mm wires!!! Slapped mine on, along with the CR43TS' this past weekend (put some of that dielectric grease on too, the coil likes to get hot)! Feels like a FRESH ride :D!!!!!!

cheers!! :cool:

that number you gave me was busy the whole day, are you sure thats the right number?

I'm almost positive that's the right number! Do a quick, "Quad Air" or "Armstrong spark plug wires" search to confirm! Their hours are 10 to 3 eastern!

HTH